[News] European Commission Slams UK Government for Spyware-by-Default Policy

Brussels bounces BT-Phorm quiz back to UK.gov

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission has again written to the government for an
| explanation of UK authorities' response to BT's allegedly illegal secret
| trials of Phorm's ISP adware system.
|
| Brussels still wants answers after a September missive from Whitehall failed
| to address legal issues surrounding past deployments of the technology, and
| didn't provide details about how future rollouts will be regulated.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/10/eu_phorm_again/

New Zealand's copyright minister starts screaming when asked whether it's fair
to cut people off from the Internet on the basis of three unsubstantiated
accusations of copyright infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark sez, "Colin Jackson is a well-known IT consultant in New Zealand and
| former President of InternetNZ. Colin attended a meeting with the Minister in
| charge of copyright on Monday to talk about a proposal to kick people off the
| internet on the basis of three unsubstantiated accusations of copyright
| infringement, and she lost her temper and yelled at them."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/10/09/new-zealands-copyrig.html

Recent:

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

A suspect package