Roy, Boycott Novell, and OOXML

  • Subject: Roy, Boycott Novell, and OOXML
  • From: bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:27:30 +0100
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:KXAdbv4rLyOA5l4FrBeZxo/m0wI=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Activists in the Boycott Novell forum have exposed the more than 5,500 page
document in PDF, HTML, Microsoft spreadsheet, and various other formats on
their website. Even though OOXML was certified as an ISO standard under
turbulent and unsteady circumstances, ISO has been keeping the comprehensive
documentation under wraps"

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/ooxml_documentation_iso_concerned

Interesting - threats of copyright abuse, etc. (Not piracy?)

I won't pass an opinion, since on this I simply don't know what I'm talking
about.
HOWEVER, let me say that I WAS under the impression that this document is
supposed to be a STANDARD, and an OPEN standard at that?
It's name is Office Open XML, I thought?

Can somebody (anybody!) explain to me what the hell is the use of a Standard,
and particularly an Open one, that I'm not allowed to see????

In short, what the hell is going on here?