Re: Amazon netbook line-up: Linux at the top.

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 October 2008 08:09 : \____

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_18231765_21?ie=UTF8&node=120100031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1YFDSX5NSCQJJ36382Q0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=216705491&pf_rd_i=561904

> 1. Acer Aspire one Linpus Linux
> 2. Asus Eee Windows XP
> 3. Acer Aspire one Linpus Linux
> 4. Asus Eee Windows XP
> 5. Asus Eee Linux
> 6. Asus Eee Windows XP
> 7. Asus Eee Linux
> 8. Acer Aspire one Windows XP
> 9. Acer Aspire one Linpus Linux
> 10. Asus Eee Windows XP
>
> ... and so it goes on.
>
> In any case, the bestseller is a Linux machine.
>

> I posted a version of this some time ago, before Microsoft realised what
> a disaster Vista was, and how much demand there is for mobility
> solutions, and therefore cancelled their end-of-life statement for the
> 6-year-old XP in the hope of keeping a presence on some of these
> machines.
>
> Whilst they've had some success in breaking into this mainly Linux
> space, there doesn't seem to be a sustainable model for Microsoft here.
> They've announced that they're only going to allow OEMs to install
> Windows XP into the early part of 2009, at which point, it's not clear
> what their plans are.
>
> Obviously, Vista isn't part of the plan here.
>
> Also, very well done to the Linux folk at Asus and Acer, at Xandros and
> Linpus and everywhere else, for this massive success.
>
> Linux is Number 1 today.

Regarding MSI, they are foolish to have chosen Ballnux. LinuxDevices had this
to say:

"Linux is not Linux is not Linux

"Clearly, Tung's statement may reflect his subjective impression, rather than
actual return figures. Still, it is worth noting that early netbook vendors do
often rush to market with hasty Linux implementations. And unfortunately, the
smaller screens and lower CPU power of netbooks means that "normal" Linux
distributions like SUSE may not work very well on them.

"Compounding the problem, netbook vendors often see Linux as a "low-end"
option, and thus offer a reduced hardware spec on Linux models. For example,
the Linux version of the MSI Wind U100 comes with only a 3-cell battery, with
512MB of RAM instead of 1GB, and no bluetooth.

"Some netbook vendors, though -- notably Asus and Acer -- have worked closely
with Linux software partners to produce well-integrated, highly usable
products. The pioneering Asus Eee PC uses the Windows-like Xandros
distribution, while the popular Acer Aspire One uses Linpus Linux Lite, a
distribution specifically designed for netbooks. Dell's Dell Inspiron Mini 9,
meanwhile, uses a version of Ubuntu specifically designed for netbooks."

I notice that the Microsoft talking points (e.g. the typical ones at ZDNet,
Ziff/Gates) have begun attacking Linux on sub-notebooks too, indicating that
Microsoft suffers in that area a lot.

"...Then they fight you..."

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
 09:00:01 up 21:51,  1 user,  load average: 0.54, 0.92, 1.01