Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 October 2008 06:43 : \____

> Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Hey everyone, long time... been busy on a new project, but something
>> interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA
>> crowd.
>>
>> Check this out.
>>
>> I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@xxxxxxxxx, lo and
>> behold it was taken.  So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier.  Well,
>> I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I would
>> have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the registered
>> alternate address.  It said it sent an email to me at mrloy.com.  That was
>> even more odd.
>>
>> A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley
>>
>> http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/
>>
>> Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?
>>
>> What else has he been doing in my name?
>>
>> Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.
>
> I can't, but then, I can't justify yours either.  You shouldn't even
> /be/ in this group.  Read the charter, read the FAQ, and then go to the
> right group, because this isn't it.
>
> I'm afraid that whatever Roy might have done pales into a ghostly shadow
> compared with your own years and years of abuse of this group, the
> personal attacks on the regulars and more.

Bruce Perens (days ago):

"[J]ust about every PR firm offers to help "manage the perception of your
company in online communities" these days. What do you think that means?
Astroturfing Slashdot, Youtube, etc. In my various manangement positions it's
been offered to me. Indeed, some of the companies offer to create negative
publicity for your competition that way - HP had a publicity firm for its
Linux activities that told us it would do that when we wanted. I never asked
them to do so and hope nobody else did either.

"This stuff is just standard these days. You've got to expect it."

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=985543&cid=25267133

"I think mostly they'd like to dilute "Open Source" to mean any code with
source code. This is important to them because it's the rights connected to
Open Source that scare Microsoft (and others). If you can call it Open Source
when there isn't even the right to compile the code, or to use the information
you get from reading it, customers don't have a reason to ask for it any
longer.

"Their publicity agencies are here on Slashdot pumping that angle every day."

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=985543&cid=25256649

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
Mem:   2075800k total,  1546928k used,   528872k free,    64200k buffers