[News] Preview of This Month's Ubuntu Release; Introduction to Gentoo Switch

What’s Coming In Ubuntu 8.10: Intrepid Ibex

,----[ Quote ]
| There are other more technical upgrades being included with Ibex, such as the
| improved Samba networking services, GNOME 2.24, Xorg 7.4 (which is said to
| completely eliminate the need for the xorg.conf file; no more manual tweaking
| necessary), and a lot of other minor things (like an eject button being
| placed next to removable/ejectable devices).  Oh, and don’t forget Linux
| Kernel 2.6.27 which is a big leap forward in the hardware compatibility
| department.  So, not a whole lot on the surface that most users will be able
| to see and appreciate, but there is a LOT under the hood that is being
| upgraded which will provide new users with a better first impression of the
| OS than before.
|
| Ubuntu Linux 8.10 is scheduled to be released October 30th.
`----

http://davestechsupport.com/blog/2008/10/05/whats-coming-in-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex/

Gentoo : First thoughts after the switch

,----[ Quote ]
| Another difference with mainstream distros : at the end of the installation
| process, you have a barebone linux installation. You won’t get that fancy
| KDE/Gnome/Whatever desktop you might be expecting. You mostly have to already
| know what you need / want (with or without Xorg ? Which windows manager ?
| with KDE or Gnome or none ? and so on)
`----

http://www.sakana.fr/blog/2008/10/05/gentoo-first-thoughts-after-the-switch/

Sabayon...?

Recent:

First Look at Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| The next version of Ubuntu's free Linux operating system, dubbed "Intrepid
| Ibex," is due out Oct. 30, but the beta release is up for grabs. Although the
| desktop hasn't been reshaped, the features tweaked just a little bit, and
| most of the work focused on compatibility and usability (not that those are
| bad things, by any means), there are still some neat new tools and tweaks
| that are worth checking out. Read on for our picture-filled take on the new
| Ubuntu.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5058730/first-look-at-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-beta

Ubuntu 8.10 Beta Screenshot Tour