[News] Major New Python Release is Coming

Python's New Release Bridges the Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source Python programming language is on the verge a sweeping revamp
| in the form of version 3.0 of its platform -- a release will deviate in many
| ways from the current, mainline Python 2.x series.
|
| So how do you meet the needs of current 2.x Python developers while
| transitioning to the bleeding edge of Python 3.0 development? That's where
| the new Python 2.6 release comes into play.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3775901/Pythons+New+Release+Bridges+the+Gap.htm

Recent:

Python for Unix and Linux System Administration

,----[ Quote ]
| All languages are tools: simply a means to get work done. They have value
| insofar as they help you get your job done better. So state Noah Gift and
| Jeremy Jones in Python for Unix and Linux System Administration (O'Reilly, US
| $49.99), adding, "We believe that Python is a valuable tool, specifically
| because it enables you to get your work done efficiently."
`----

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/30639/

Jython Reborn

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a fun game to play at your next developer cocktail party. If someone
| asks you what you're interested in, tell them "Jython." Inevitably, their
| response will be, "Jython is dead." Six months ago, I would have agreed, but
| with recent investment by Sun Microsystems, it appears that Jython is very
| much alive and ready to be used. I'll spend a little bit of time talking
| about some recent Jython history, and then compile the latest revision of
| Jython from source and play around with it a bit.
`----

http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/3748556

Sun hires two key Python developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems Inc. is looking to bolster its position in the Python
| programming realm through the hiring of two prominent developers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=development&articleId=9066359&taxonomyId=11&intsrc=kc_top

Python Fans Take Aim at the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| After years in the shadows, the open source Python programming language is
| becoming increasingly mainstream. There are more users and more tools.
| Backers of Python now argue that Python is ready for the enterprise.
|
| [...]
|
| "Many businesses see the software development world in terms of Visual Basic,
| Java, and C/C++/C#. Some simply aren't aware of Python, yet, " Goodger
| argued. "Any competent programmer can easily learn Python and be productive
| within a few hours or days at most."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3738856/Python+Fans+Take+Aim+at+the+Enterprise.htm

First Day of Python for my Vietnamese Students

,----[ Quote ]
| I chose Python over PHP and Java out of personal bias. Tracy Reed introduced
| Python and Plone to me nearly 3 years ago. I also chose Python since, unlike
| other programming languages, it is installed by default in both the LInux and
| BSD distributions (Perl is also installed by default). I also am quite
| impressed at how many LESS lines of code you need to do a simple program when
| compared to Perl/CGI and PHP, the two programming languages I learned in the
| past. The infamous Helloworld program only takes one line in Python alone!!!
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/?p=674

Related:

Python upgrades readied for 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers of the Python programming language are working concurrently on two
| upgrades to the core platform, both to arrive in 2008, representatives of
| Python said Wednesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1060483239&rid=-50

Python Magazine Lives

,----[ Quote ]
| There are columnists, there are tech editors, there are authors. Articles
| have been commissioned. Logos and trademarks are in place. The design team is
| rocking, the contract team is rolling, and the emails are flying. In the
| background, the sound of constant typewriter activity can be heard, just like
| on those old newscasts from the old Cronkite days. Exciting times!
`----

http://m0j0.wordpress.com/2007/07/03/python-magazine-lives/

Python Enters KDE SVN with Guidance

,----[ Quote ]
| Guidance was originally developed for Mandrake Linux and is now
| used by default in Kubuntu. It is hoped that moving it to KDE
| Extragear will encourage testing and development on other
| distributions. Guidance requires PyKDE Extensions as well
| as the PyKDE bindings themselves.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1176941846/

Old:

One Laptop Per Child kicks off PyCON 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Krstic himself mentioned only a little bit about the impact of 100
| million children being exposed to laptop computers and the internet,
| let alone a view source key inviting them to learn one of the most
| powerful free software oriented programming languages in one of the
| most powerful free software operating systems.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2088

Python slithers to 'significant' release

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/09/22/python_upgrade/