Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
<ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 3 Oct 2008 23:32:18 GMT
<slrngedas2.91m.ZekeGregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2008-10-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Friday 03 October 2008 13:38 : \____

>>> Another masochist...
>>
>> Ricer. :-)
>
> No way! Gentoo builds are lean and mean and tailored to their task.
>
> Ubuntu users are the "ricers".

Not entirely sure of that.  I'll have to see if I can
rebuild Gentoo by changing CHOST in /etc/make.conf;
stage-1 starter kits are no longer supported, though
there's gotta be a way to rebuild the base system with
the options I want, especially with crosscompiling.
Ideally I'd be able to build a Gentoo ARM environment for
an Android-like phone and run it using QEMU.  Of course
there's a number of issues in doing so (starting with
a certain lack of hardware :-) ).

There's also the issue that I consider Gentoo a
manual-shift, if one uses (yet again some more) a car
analogy; Ubuntu and other distros are automatic, and far
faster to install, if everything goes right.  The flip
side: Gentoo is more likely to be consistent, if one
maintains the system properly (revdep-rebuild is rather
important :-) ).

My Gentoo system is admittedly rather extensively tailored,
though.  I don't know if I could call it "customized" but
I do have to tweak a fair number of things on occasion,
probably because I like to experiment with newish things that
the Gentoo powers-that-be haven't deemed stable yet.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
GNU and improved.