[News] More GNU/Linux-based OLPC/XOs Deployed

Madison XO laptop project brings innovative tool to local children

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptops use a Linux-based operating system and open source software that
| enables students to view and manipulate programming code. The XOs also are
| well equipped for communal learning with mesh networking capabilities that
| allow students to play games or surf the Internet together.
`----

http://www.exduco.net/news.php?id=2969

Ethiopia’s first OLPC deployment

,----[ Quote ]
| This week, I joined the OLPC Ethiopia team on their travels to a rural school
| in the Oromia region. The 2 hour drive was fascinating. You start off driving
| through typical Addis city areas, but slowly there are more and more animals
| on the road. People are jogging behind their donkeys, which are being used to
| transport wood and other materials. The landscape improves. After more and
| more animal-dodging, we reach a town with some basic shops, and the road
| becomes a dirt track. Oh good, we’ve arrived.
`----

http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2008/09/ethiopias-first-olpc-deployment/

OLPC laptops to hit Indian market soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s Linux- based Intel’s Classmate PC costs nearly $300 and is aimed at
| secondary school children. OLPC focuses on primary schools for its XO-1
| laptops.
`----

http://www.itexaminer.com/olpc-laptops-to-hit-indian-market-soon.aspx

Recent:

OLPC's Amazon Notebook Linux Only

,----[ Quote ]
| “Contrary to some media reports, it will be a Linux-based XO Laptop that will
| be offered as part of the global initiative and not a dual-boot machine
| running both Windows and Linux,” OLPC said in a statement.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/dneedle/2008/09/olpcs-amazon-notebook-linux-on.html

What do Free and Open Source Software Leaders Think of Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3753076_3