[News] Uganda to Get GNU/Linux Thin Clients, Microsoft 'Study' Turned Against It

  • Subject: [News] Uganda to Get GNU/Linux Thin Clients, Microsoft 'Study' Turned Against It
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:46:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NComputing enters Uganda with virtualization products

,----[ Quote ]
| NComputing, a California IT solutions provider, has introduced its
| virtualization software and hardware to the Ugandan market after inking a
| deal with Linux Solutions.

Microsoft admits that TCO for developing nation's schools is same for Linux and

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft admits that TCO for education students in developing nations is
| about the same with their products and Free Software. They further admit that
| the initial TCO costs of hardware and software are lower with Linux, and that
| Linux technical people in developing nations command a higher salary than
| their Microsoft counterparts due to scarcity.
| I feel that this mandates greater use of Free Software in universities and
| high schools to help increase the number of locally employed, highly trained
| Free Software professionals to decrease that scarcity, and to lower the
| balance of trade problems that occur by sending software royalty money
| outside of the country.

Sustainable computing for the masses

,----[ Quote ]
| Dukker says about 40 per cent of NComputing's customers have chosen Linux
| (the company uses Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora or SuSE) and the remainder have gone
| with Windows on the host. He is careful to specify that he has no religion
| when it comes to the operating system - it is entirely the buyer's choice.
| (Of course, if he were not offering the GNU/Linux option, then he wouldn't
| have got a run here).

Poor nations gain more choices in computing

,----[ Quote ]
| The NComputing system cuts costs tremendously. The cost per child of each
| NComputing system, for seven users, is $70 each, in a system running at just
| 1 watt per user.

[Latest SEC filing from Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
| To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
| of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
| our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.

http://www.  microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

Dumb terminals provide smart solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Thin client technology is not new - it has been used widely in banking and
| sectors which want to avoid placing sensitive information on individual PCs.
| NComputing has also been deploying its technology in factories where
| operating conditions are not suitable for ordinary PCs.

Macedonia: A New Sun of Linux Freedom Rises

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| A batch of 7,000 PCs with Ubuntu Linux have been sent to Macedonian schools,
| the first of a collection that Ubuntu sponsor Canonical expects will reach
| 20,000.

All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]