[News] New Economy Requires Openness and Free Software

Openness is the Solution to the (Double) Subprime Crisis

,----[ Quote ]
| The solution to the subprime patents problem is get rid of them, and to move
| from a business model based on code contamination and lawsuits (hello SCO) to
| one of code sharing and collaboration. There's no halfway house, because open
| source and software patents are inherently incompatible. But what's really
| interesting in this is that just as there are close similarities between the
| problems of subprime patents and subprime mortgages, so there may be
| important parallels between how we should deal with them.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/openness-solution-double-subprime-crisis

Will the Financial Crisis Boost Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat generated roughly half of its revenue from VARs in its most recent
| quarter, but the company wants to lift that figure to 60 percent. Likewise,
| emerging companies like Alfresco (open source content management), Digium
| (open source IP telephony) and Fonality (IP telephony as well) are seeking
| more partners.
|
| Grab the opportunities while some VARs run for economic cover.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/30/will-the-financial-crisis-boost-open-source/

Recent:

Zen and the Art of the Six-Figure Linux Job

,----[ Quote ]
| You’ve heard the stereotypes and the misconceptions. Since Linux is free
| software, the developers who create it are paid next to nothing, right?
|
| Wrong. Brent Marinaccio, the director of open source recruiting firm Hot
| Linux Jobs, has an insider’s view. The Savannah, Georgia-based job placement
| firm, founded in 2000, works exclusively with companies seeking open source
| experts.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3774811

Linux and FOSS in a Slowing Economy

,----[ Quote ]
| In case anyone hasn't been paying attention, apparently the US economy isn't
| doing too well these days. There is a lot of news lately about banks failing,
| government bail-outs, and natural disasters that will cost us all a lot of
| money (thanks, Ike).
|
| I start to wonder if small-to-medium or even larger organizations will begin
| to pay more attention to FOSS solutions during these belt-tightening times.
| Instead of upgrading a fleet of outdated hardware that could be renewed with
| a fresh Linux installation, or paying through the nose for 50 licenses for
| some expensive piece of proprietary software, will more businesses with their
| eyes intently focused on the bottom line look to free and open solutions?
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-and-foss-slowing-economy

Becta green lights open source software in schools, at last

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/09/23/becta_open_source_schools_at_last/