[News] US Healthcare Looking for Free Software with New Bill

Open Source Software a Booster Shot for Health Care?

,----[ Quote ]
| California Representative Pete Stark introduced the bill on September 15th.
| The particularly intriguing thing is that it isn't just the records that Rep.
| Stark is proposing be in an open, exchangeable format. He is proposing that
| the health information technology system itself be open source, whether it is
| newly created, or based on an existing open source health record system. The
| bill mentions VistA, the health record system used by the U.S. Department of
| Veterans Affairs, as a possible starting place for open source development.
| And indeed, the efforts in this area were started prior to the bill proposal.
| Medsphere has its OpenVista software and a number of specific modules
| developed for different health care settings.
`----

http://ostatic.com/173518-blog/open-source-software-a-booster-shot-for-health-care

Recent:

Open-source company targets public health apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source technology proponents launched a project last week to build
| public health and safety applications using the open-source software
| development model.
|
| The TriSano project, launched Sept. 16 under the auspices of the
| Collaborative Software Initiative, is initially working with Utah state
| officials to develop a system for monitoring and managing disease outbreaks.
`----

http://www.govhealthit.com/online/news/350585-1.html

Will Kolodner lead industry toward open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Robert Kolodner, a long-time IT leader for the Veterans Administration, is
| going to be the key man in bringing about a national system of Electronic
| Health Records (EHRs). (Picture from the AARP.)
`----

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=1374

house.gov 's Health e-IT act of 2008: they want an OS EMR !

,----[ Quote ]
| By my stopwatch, it's been around 11 years since it was obvious that an Open
| Source EMR to rule them all was the way to go. Nice to see the goverment
| actually catch on.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1221697151

Medsphere.org becomes a forge

,----[ Quote ]
| They are in soft-launch now, and will make a formal announcement soon. The
| new site is far more community-friendly than the old one. Its a critical part
| of the Medsphere strategy to get the VistA community to migrate from Hardhats
| (and the FOIA VistA/WorldVistA that is typically discussed there) to
| medsphere.org and (which centers on OpenVistA).
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1221843244

Open Health Tools gets first big donation

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Health Tools, the open source project launched this spring by Eclipse
| founder Skip McGaughey, has gotten its first big code donation.
|
| It’s called Open HIE, or Open Health Information Exchange. It consists of
| modules to link a master record to personal information, and to retrieve
| records from known locations.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2774

Hospital software vendor McKesson uses Linux to heal IT budgets

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, convincing hospital executives to go with McKesson's Linux-based
| applications was difficult because of fears that Linux wouldn't be as
| reliable as Unix, which had been in their IT shops for years, Simpson
| said. "It took some time for them to understand that open source is safe,
| that open source has support," he added.
|
| The deal with Red Hat "really kicked the program into gear," he said,
| allowing McKesson to offer its software with Red Hat Enterprise Linux in a
| top-to-bottom package for mission-critical hospital IT systems.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9052142&intsrc=hm_list

Is Linux enough for open source medical advocates?

,----[ Quote ]
| The change occurs on the back-end, where Linux is the OS, and where customers
| may even choose MySQL or Ingres as their database technology.
|
| McKesson says 75% of its roughly 2,500 hospital customers have embraced the
| change, with Oracle as the company’s current database of choice. “The best of
| both worlds” the company says.
`----

http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=564

The Linux of Healthcare

,----[ Quote ]
| What makes this one different from other HIS in the market? "It's an
| integrated and probably the only healthcare solution based on open source
| technology, making the customer vendor-neutral," says Raman.
`----

http://www.expresshealthcaremgmt.com/200712/strategy01.shtml

Related:

Red Hat enters healthcare sector

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Software Services, provider of Linux and open source technologies, is
| foraying into the Indian healthcare sector.
|
| Red Hat's Global Support Services vice-president Lain Gray said the company
| plans to facilitate the sharing of patients' data and history within various
| hospitals to promote better healthcare services.
`----

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/dec/06yup.htm

Leading Healthcare Technology Provider Chooses Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Sage Software provides integrated electronic health records, electronic
| data interchange (EDI) applications and practice management systems to
| more than 20,000 ambulatory care practices throughout North America.
| These systems enable physicians and practice managers to better
| manage their practices and improve profitability.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070123/20070123005179.html?.v=1

Computer Programs and Systems, Inc. Announces Migration of CPSI System to Linux
Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer Programs and Systems, Inc., a leading provider of healthcare
| information solutions, today announced the migration of the CPSI healthcare
| information system to the Linux operating system.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071115/20071115005804.html?.v=1

McKesson First to Offer Red Hat Enterprise Healthcare Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| As a leading provider of technology solutions to the healthcare
| industry, McKesson has been at the forefront of innovative
| technologies, deploying many of its advanced Horizon Clinicals
| applications on Linux running on Intel-based hardware. Hospitals
| with these deployments have already realized cost savings of up
| to 60% compared with traditional system deployments.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070226/20070226005175.html?.v=1

IBM and Convergence CT Team to Provide Clinical Data Warehousing for
Healthcare and Life Sciences

,----[ Quote ]
| The IBM BCU is a fully integrated and scalable data warehouse
| solution for Linux that combines software, server, and storage
| resources to maximize business intelligence and information
| management performance for enterprises.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070228/0221247.html

Editor's Corner (on Open Source in Healthcare)

,----[ Quote ]
| Suggesting that a private healthcare provider switch from
| proprietary software to open source-based applications is one
| thing. But when an official affiliated with as august a body as
| the United Nations suggests that all member countries adopt open
| source for their healthcare applications, that's a much bigger deal.
`----

http://www.fiercehealthit.com/story/editor-s-corner/2006-10-09

Linux in Healthcare

,----[ Quote ]