[News] Munchkins Attack at the Claim of Linux Ease of Use

Why I Use Linux

,----[ Quoye ]
| I use Linux because its easy to use.
|
| And now every Windows user reading this is laughing and screaming insults at
| me. “Linux isn’t easy to use, you f*ing moron! I tried to use Ubuntu and I
| couldn’t even get it to boot. Linux is so weird and hard to use, you need to
| read twenty pages of documentation before you can even partition the hard
| drive. I spent three weeks messing with Linux and I couldn’t get my sound
| card to work.” Blah blah blah. The reasons and examples why Linux is so hard
| to use are almost endless.
|
| But yes, I do think Linux is easy to use.
`----

http://42gems.com/?p=108

Days ago:

KDE for Grannies

,----[ Quote ]
| Now I’m looking forward to the first email from my Granny. Yes, I’m
| incredibly proud of her.
|
| And I’m happy about all the effort that was taken to make KDE applications
| easy to use and easy to understand. Even for Grannies.
`----

http://untangled.biz/blog/kde/kde-for-grannies/

Related:

Sometimes I just want to be stupid

,----[ Quote ]
| All of this graphical and auto-magic installation goodness has made
| me mentally fat and lazy, we'll leave the physical out of this. I
| now expect this wondrous GUI-ness all the time, and when it's not
| there, the small nerve in my neck, that lets itself be known when
| I'm frustrated, starts to signal its existence. Now with the
| hundreds of packages that are available on Linux, you would think
| I would know better than to expect everything to be point and
| click. Actually, I do know better and I should be happy with that.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/sometimes_i_just_want_to_be_stupid

More Pleasant Surprises with Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As I continue to test and work with Ubuntu, I have come across a few more
| very pleasant surprises:
|
| - I plugged in my Logitech V20 Notebook Speakers (USB). They worked.
|
| - I plugged in my Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Deluxe. It worked. No muss,
| no fuss, so searching for drivers, it just worked.
|
| - I plugged in my Canon BJC-55 printer. It worked. I printed a test page on
| it, and it came out perfect. This really is getting quite impressive.
|
| - I plugged in my Philips SPC1300NC webcam, and although it is recognized and
| identified correctly, it doesn't seem to work. This is a bit surprising,
| since it is a UVC-compatible device, I'll have to look into it a bit more.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008350o-2000498448b,00.htm?new_comment

Secure doesn’t mean anything.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are other security goals one can implement, these are only examples.
| The first two are probably the most important for most users. The main thing
| I want people who read this to take away is that there is no such thing as
| a ’secure system’ or ‘added on security’ or ‘baked in security’. Security by
| itself doesn’t mean anything. Users need to determine their threat model and
| security goals in order to determine what measures need to be taken in order
| to protect what they want protected.
`----

http://securityblog.org/brindle/2008/03/30/secure-doesnt-mean-anything/

Mandriva One Not the Linux Dinosaur of Old

,----[ Overview ]
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/53627.html