Re: [Rival] Google's Office Killer is Already Killing Office

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 04 September 2008 16:23 : \____

> Well, Roy, you know you're doing something right when you bring out
> the trolls like this.

Yes, the Munchkins are helping me. They tell me when I'm on the right topic.
That's when I know what's worth repeating.

> I think Microsoft is plenty worried about Google, even before Chrome.
> That's what the whole Yahoo affair was about.  Ballmer's threats to
> "kill" Google don't sound so scary now, do they?

Google and GNU/Linux are a top priority in Microsoft's fight to 'kill'
competitors (Microsoft sabotages rather than make better products). Microsoft
admits this. Google is similar to IBM in the sense that those 2 factors are
not mutually exclusive. Without Linux, IBM and Google might have to depend on
other vendors (not Red Hat et al).

> BTW, I can already see the propaganda attack on Chrome starting.  It
> will offer no improvement, it will be less secure than IE (!!) etc
> etc.

Yes, I see the shills hard at work. Gartnberg, Fried, you name it...

Remember O'Gara... I reckon Microsoft gives its shills 'attack points' and
sends them off with a 'handbook', so to speak:

“As discussed in our PR meeting this morning. David & I have spoken with
Maureen O’Gara (based on go ahead from BrianV) and planted the story. She has
agreed to not attribute the story to us….

“[…] Inform Maureen O’ Gara (Senior Editor Client Server News/LinuxGram) or
John Markoff (NYT) of announcement on Aug 28, 2000. Owner dougmil (Approval
received from BrianV to proceed)

“Contact Eric Raymond, Tim O’Reilly or Bruce Perrins to solicit support for
this going against the objectives of the Open Source movement. Owner: dougmil
[Doug Miller]. Note that I will not be doing this. Maureen O’Gara said she was
going to call them so it looks better coming from her.”

                        http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/PX04081.pdf

> Nevertheless, in its first day of operation, Chrome already captured
> 1% of the market.  IE was down (again), even before Chrome.

Interesting times ahead.

Google's earnings are Microsoft's loss. But when one isn't a ripoff,  then
typical comparisons just don't work. It's like comparing Windows and Linux
based on /revenue/ or /preinstalls/. It doesn't compute.

"Open Source software is raising havoc throughout the software market.
It is the ultimate in disruptive technology, and while to it is only
6% of estimated trillion dollars IT budgeted annually, it represents a
real loss of $60 billion in annual revenues to software companies,"
said Jim Johnson, Chairman, The Standish Group International, Boston,
MA"

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9920202-62.html

- --
"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..." --Paul DeGroot, a Directions
On Microsoft analyst.