Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses the 'Pirates' Lie Against Regulators, Not Just GNU/Linux

On 2008-09-03, Robin T Cox <nomail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> Most people don't build their machines anymore.
>
> But that doesn't account for the second hand market.
>
> It would be nice to know how many people do not buy new but second hand, and
> then not via a dealer but from a friend or a work contact. And then look
> for a more up to date (but pirate) copy of Windows to install.

There are 2 problems with that:

    a) The machine probably already has it's own OEM license.
    b) A newer generation of Windows probably won't work too well.

> I bet there are many of these, since those who buy new have to finance their
> purchases somehow, and often by selling their old computer system, just as
> they sell their old cars on when they trade up.

    If I sell any of my old machines, the "pirated" windows that might
get slapped onto them is really more likely to be just the same OS that
got shipped with the machine. At worst, it's a "pirated" upgrade.

--
	Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's         |||
	continued popularity as does an attempt to do some          / | \