[News] Google Launches New SaaS Products, Android Linux Programs

Android Challenge winners push location awareness

,----[ Quote ]
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance (OHA) have announced the final winners
| for part one of the Android Developer Challenge. The OHA granted ten $275,000
| awards and ten $100,000 awards for the best applications created for the
| Linux- and Java-based Android mobile phone platform.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5624605378.html?kc=rss

Google adds YouTube-like service to Apps suite

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has added a video sharing component to its Apps Premier suite of
| hosted communication and collaboration software, betting that companies will
| find it useful for a variety of workplace uses.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=637009522&rid=-50

Introducing Picasa 3.0 (and big changes for Picasa Web Albums)

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over two years ago, we launched Picasa Web Albums to make publishing
| photos online easy. Now Picasa Web Albums hosts billions of online photos
| from around the globe, with users adding millions of new snapshots every day.
| Each of these photos records a different moment, or a different perspective,
| but one thing they all have in common is that in each case, the person behind
| the camera wanted to share their experience with a friend, their extended
| family, or maybe the world.
`----

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/introducing-picasa-30-and-big-changes.html

Recent:

88% of YouTube is New and Original Content, Professor Says

,----[ Quote ]
| If you can watch it without dropping your litigation against YouTube, Viacom,
| you need to see a doctor right away. Seriously. I hope YouTube lawyers play
| it for the judge if you insist on going to trial.
|
| Watch the part about the song that ended up being professionally released. It
| made the company some money. Cluestick: there is more than one business
| model, for those who can get with the new. Sooner or later, your shareholders
| will be furious with you if you don't course-correct and modernize. Yes. They
| will. Eventually, your shareholders will be YouTubers, you know. And you'll
| be what media used to be.

Google announces Android Market and Android Challenge winners

,----[ Quote ]
| Later the same day, Chu announced the winners in the Android Developers
| Challenge. Out of 50 teams of finalists, ten were chosen to receive $275,000
| awards and another ten, $100,000 awards.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/115236

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

`----