[News] Microsoft's Worst JavaScript Performance; Google Beats All

Speed test: Google Chrome beats Firefox, IE, Safari

,----[ Quote ]
| Google offers a site with five JavaScript benchmarks. On each one of these
| tests, Chrome clearly trounced the competition. I hope benchmarking experts
| and developers will weigh in with comments about how well these tests
| represent true JavaScript performance on the Web--either for ordinary sites
| or for rich Web apps.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Browser wars back in full swing

Google Chrome is a warning shot over the bows of Internet Explorer, Firefox,
Safari, and Opera.

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software project, to be detailed later Tuesday at Google's
| headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., should dispel any lingering thoughts
| that the browser wars are over. To be sure, it is less cutthroat now than in
| the 1990s, but one of technology's most powerful companies is now on the
| battlefield.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62045726,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

Recent:

New direction for 'JavaScript 2'

,----[ Quote ]
| Standardization efforts for the next version of JavaScript have taken a sharp
| turn this month, with some key changes in the Web scripting technology's
| direction.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/08/26/35NF-javascript-2-direction_1.html?source=NLC-DAILY&cgd=2008-08-26

Java developers get repository help

,----[ Quote ]
| Sonatype on Tuesday began offering a tool for Java developers to manage
| internal Maven-based code repositories and access external Maven
| repositories.
|
| The company's Nexus 1.0 product is a Maven repository manager; the Maven
| Central Repository itself features a repository for binary artifacts and
| publicly available project metadata, the company said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1255217015&rid=-50

Study: Java still top programming language

,----[ Quote ]
| Java has its detractors, but according to a recent reading of the Tiobe
| Programming Community Index, it's still the dominant programming language,
| with little change in its overall popularity since August 2007. Runners up?
| C, (Visual) Basic, C++, and PHP.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10009669-16.html

Linux Development Thriving

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time when developers were clamouring all over Microsoft, but
| latest figures from Evans Data shows that fewer than one in ten software
| developers are writing applications for Windows Vista this year – just eight
| percent. To rub salt in the wound, the data shows that 49 percent of
| developers are writing applications for Windows XP.
|
| Linux is also thriving it would seem. 13 percent are writing applications,
| with 15.5 percent in 2009.
|
| [...]
|
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, that probably means re-investing in XP and
| dumping Vista like an unwanted prom date.
`----

http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/linux-development-thriving/

Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it

,----[ Quote ]
| Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the cockles of
| Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
| developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
| 2009).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista