[News] Big GNU/Linux Distro Shower Approaching

The upcoming release season

,----[ Quote ]
| As has been tradition in the distribution development circles, the arrival of
| September usually means one thing: a highly intensive testing period prior to
| a big flurry of distribution releases. These will start hitting the download
| mirrors in the following months, making the time between late September and
| Christmas the most eagerly anticipated period of the year by all
| DistroWatchers. Fancy a fresh distro full of updated packages? Enjoy
| discovering what new features and exciting enhancements the developers have
| integrated into their products? Eager to exchange the look and feel of your
| desktop for something fresher and crispier? Then you are at the right place.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080901#feature

A great new distribution to try every month. With Windows, one has to wait
years for a downgrade (Vista).

Debian Is Live Now!

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time to rejoice for Debian lovers -- Debian is live now! Windows and Mac
| users now have the option to try one of the world's most stable and powerful
| operating systems on their machines -- that too for free!
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/28536/news.htm

Hugely popular in Brazil (used by millions).

Recent:

Deploying KDE [+Debian GNU/Linux] to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft