[News] [Rival] Microsoft Jokes at Vista's Expense, "7" Another Vista Disaster

Life without walls.

,----[ Quote ]
| Life without walls is the title of microsoft's new advertising campaign. It
| is yet another example of microsoft taking someone else's idea and trying to
| claim it as their own. This has put me in rant mode because for a long time
| there has been a quote floating around in the Linux camp. It goes like
| this "In a world without walls. Who needs windows and gates?"

With Windows 7, is Microsoft echoing its Longhorn mistakes?

,----[ Quote ]
| Why make the same mistakes all over again, when there are so many new
| mistakes to make?
| That thought came to mind a few weeks ago when Microsoft spent some time
| talking about Windows 7 (the current name for whatever comes after Vista) at
| a technology conference. From what I saw, it would seem that the company
| learned little from the Longhorn/Vista launch and is setting out down the
| same road.

Windows 7 hits Milestone 3

,----[ Quote ]
| From what admittedly little I had a chance to see, Windows 7 does not look or
| feel like a major departure from Windows Vista.

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
| [...]
| Midori for Linux?
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars [in less than a year]

Windows 7: R.I.P.

,----[ Quote ]
| Death throes. That’s how I’d describe the latest barrage of white papers from
| Microsoft. The company’s flagship, Windows Vista, is thrashing around in the
| shallows like a wounded animal, fighting in vain to escape the inevitable.
| [...]
| Now we learn that there’s no point in waiting for Windows 7 because,
| according to Microsoft, “it’ll be just like Vista.”
| Talk about eating your young! Microsoft is now publicly trashing their next
| version in order to salvage their current dud. Never mind that they’re
| killing the very positive mystique surrounding Windows 7. Company executives
| are hell bent on proving that the Vista “Refuseniks” were wrong, and they’re
| not above using force to achieve their goal.
| That’s right, hidden within their latest propaganda piece is the not so
| veiled threat that customers who bypass Vista risk widening the very
| compatibility chasm that dissuaded them in the first place. That’s because
| Microsoft has no intention of making it any easier for customers to upgrade
| to Windows 7 from XP than it is for them to upgrade from XP to Vista today.

CIOs Uncensored: For The Sake Of IT, Leave XP Alone

,----[ Quote ]
| I just finished a presentation to a group of nontechnical executives, and I'm
| even more angry about Microsoft's plan to end shipments of Windows XP this
| summer. I'd been making my list of reasons Microsoft shouldn't get rid of XP.
| Now I've got one more biggie--it's going to set back the hard-earned progress
| CIOs have been making in getting IT viewed as a strategic part of their
| organizations.

Microsoft’s credibility turning to junk while Linux revenue grows

,----[ Quote ]
| Sweeping changes are needed in Microsoft’s go-to-market approach, and it may
| find more success by creating products like Live Writer, which found a huge
| following right away. Continuing on its current path, the company will
| continue to destroy its credibility and build animosity with users looking
| for quality products on their terms.

Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| Would you believe... that Microsoft has dropped down to #86 within the
| Fortune Best Places to Work survey? That's down from #50 in 2007 and #42 in
| 2006. Like a rock. In a bad way. And who is #1 for two years in a row? Grab
| that chair and give it a big effen toss in the air to Google! Toot! They get
| bigger and they're still #1.

Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, the world's largest software maker was also a winner, but it
| received the dubious honor of the brand most readers wanted to argue with,
| and the one they most wanted to revamp. Voted into second place in the
| category was brand USA.

What we do know about Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]