[News] Free Software in Canadian Elections

Canadian party includes open source software in election platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party of Canada has included Open Source Software in its election
| platform. How long until a major North American party follows suit?
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/09/canadian_party.html?source=rss

Recent:

Not Worried Enough Yet?

,----[ Quote ]
| For a bit of contrast, here’s a page from Australia’s Capital Territory
| Election Commision’s site, which gives complete public access to their
| open-source voting software.
|
| In one sentence, they explain why they’re smart and we’re dumb:
|
|     The software for the electronic voting and counting system was built
|     using Linux open source software, which was chosen specifically for this
|     electoral system to ensure that election software is open and transparent
|     and could be made available to scrutineers, candidates and other
|     participants in the electoral process.
|
| I’m don’t think there’s a pill strong enough to make me feel better about
| this one.
`----

http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/09/not_worried_enough_yet

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
| 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
| software digital authentication.
|
| The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
| officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
| will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
| Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
| defined by proper law.
`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux

Open source software use sought in automated election system

,----[ Quote ]
| A newly organized group of information technology professionals has called on
| government to use open standards and open source technology for the
| automation of elections in the Philippines.
|
| [...]
|
| Ito Gruet, who is an IT professional and member of the Advocacy for Open
| Systems in Elections, said the use of open standards or open source
| technology would promote "transparency" in the development of the automated
| election system.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080518-137318/Open-source-software-use-sought-in-automated-election-system

LinuxWorld gets an open source voting tryout

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/LinuxWorld-gets-an-open-source-voting-tryout--/news/111243