Re: [News] Bill Gates Fosters, Sponsors Vicious Patent Troll Nathan Myhrvold

After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> In article <_8sAk.35173$XT1.2217@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Chris Ahlstrom <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Brother, can you spare a patent?!
>>
>>    From the bastard who invented "the Microsoft Tax".
>
> Myhrvold has an interesting biography:
>
>    Entered college at 14.
>
>    Studied math, geophysics and space physics at UCLA.  Earned BSc and
>    Masters.
>
>    Masters in mathematical economics from Princeton.
>
>    PhD in theoretical and mathematical physics from Princeton at age 23.
>
>    Postdoc at Cambridge under Stephen Hawking, in cosmology and quantum
>    gravity.
>
>    Prize-winning nature and wildlife photographer.
>
>    Goes on paleontological research expeditions.
>
>    Published in major science journals (Science, Nature, Paleobiology).
>
>    Large contributor to SETI.
>
>    Master French chef.  Works as assistant chef at one of Seattle's
>    top French restaurants.
>
>    Has finished first and second in the world barbecue championship.
>
>    Founded Microsoft Research.
>
> Oh, and you know how many in computing like to occasionally get an older
> computer for fun, like a Sinclair or Apple II or something like that?
> He's like that too:
>
>    Commissioned the construction of a complete Babbage Difference
>    Engine #2 for himself.

He's done a lot of stuff, and some of it good (for the world) stuff.
That doesn't mean his interests are always coincident with the public
good, however.

However, I must admit it would be nice to be able to spend freely and
put my own interests up front.  He's obviously a high-energy dude, too.
In addition to the above:

   http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960317&slug=2319257

But he's also somewhat of a loose cannon.

--
Straw?  No, too stupid a fad.  I put soot on warts.