Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9114734&intsrc=news_ts_head
>
> Good....
> That should eliminate many of the threads in the Ubuntu forums where noobs
> trash Ubuntu because they can't figure out how to make it play their media.
>
> This is a good thing.
> Most people are not on some religious pilgrimage for Linux but instead just
> want to USE the operating system and associated programs.

It's not a religious pilgrimage so much as a matter of practicality.
When you use binary code, you're now beholden to the owner of that code
in some sense, and they can change the terms of the (implicit) deal at
any time.  Looked what happened with MP3, for example.

That's why the guys at mplayer.hu are so busy, for example.

I'm personally not opposed to using binary code in general, but all too
often you can get painted into a corner.

--
No people are all bad, just as none are all good.
Tecumseh, (Shawnee) to his nephew Spemica Lawba 1790