[News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

Now playing: DVD movies, Windows audio files on Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Life just got easier for users of the downloadable or boxed retail versions
| of the Ubuntu Linux 8.04 operating system who want easy and cheap ways of
| adding DVD playback and improved audio capabilities to their machines.
|
| Inexpensive add-on applications that will provide audio codecs and a DVD
| player to expand the multimedia capabilities of the four-year-old Linux
| operating system are now available for purchase in the Ubuntu online store.
|
| Previously, users of the freely downloaded or boxed versions of the Ubuntu
| Linux 8.04 could run into compatibility troubles while trying to play DVD
| movies or some types of audio tracks on their computers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9114734&intsrc=news_ts_head

Recent:

Sun's OMS Video codec project is a means to an end

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems is setting out to create an open source, royalty-free video
| codec. Given the considerable head start of well-known, royalty-free video
| codecs like Dirac and Theora, you might ask why the world needs another. The
| answer, according to Sun, is the process the company will use to develop
| it -- starting with a full-on, careful examination of the patent situation.
|
| [...]
|
| I see evidence of the FUD campaign that Glidden describes whenever I read the
| discussion threads attached to news story about codecs: Fear that developers
| (or even users) will get sued for patent infringement. Uncertainty about what
| patents exist and whether it is even possible to know. Doubt that new ideas
| or patent-unencumbered ideas could ever match the patented, for-profit
| products.
|
| Regardless of whether OMS Video bests H.264 technically or ever makes a dent
| in the MPEG-LA's market share, this initiative from Sun is important to watch
| because the development process is a counterattack against the
| it's-not-worth-trying mindset. That mindset is costing consumers millions of
| dollars a year in licensing fees, and it has a chilling effect on new work.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/145347

Packing It In: The Evolution of Online Video and Audio Tech, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| The business of standardizing compression formats for audio and video files
| on the Internet is largely dominated by the big companies -- Adobe,
| Microsoft, etc. Some in the open source community are fighting vendor lock-in
| by creating superior formats. Now, if only users would adopt them.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/63609.html

Ubuntu gets the Remix right

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttleworth's company Canonical is behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution and
| recently announced what it called a Ubuntu Notebook Remix which could be used
| on certain portable internet-centric devices. In the case of Ubuntu, this is
| aimed at devices which are built around Intel's Atom procesor. This, of
| course, is trying to follow in the footsteps of the eeePC which has enjoyed
| success beyond anybody's wildest dreams.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18737/1090/

Fluendo Makes Major Update to Linux Codec's

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/application/15923/fluendo-makes-major-update-linux-codecs