[News] More Signs of Intellectual Monopolies Unrest, Patent-encumbered Standards

  • Subject: [News] More Signs of Intellectual Monopolies Unrest, Patent-encumbered Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:23:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Patents – Do you really need them?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last Venture Capital Journal, Thomas Klein from Wilson Sonsini wrote a
| great article (Actually link doesn't work – this article requires
| subscription) about the diminishing value of patents for early stage
| technology companies. In the short article he quoted 5 recent court decisions
| that have created limited the value of patents. I will not repeat all the 5
| cases that he quotes, but his overall verdict is clear: Leveraging patents in
| the courtroom is becoming harder and harder.
`----

http://coheda.typepad.com/israel/2008/09/patents-do-you.html

InterDigital Selects Anaqua's IP Management Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| InterDigital develops advanced mobile broadband technologies and products, is
| a leading contributor to the global wireless standards, and has patent
| license agreements with many leading mobile device manufacturers.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/interdigital-selects-anaquas-ip-management/story.aspx?guid={38EE9805-AF8E-47BB-9845-2C25C7D4AFEC}&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/63nrh5

More people join the movement against intellectual monopolies.

Yesterday:

European Patent Office staff to demonstrate for reforms

,----[ Quote ]
| The international Staff Union of the European Patent Office (SUEPO) has
| called on the staff of the office to strike on Thursday 18th of September,
| and to demonstrate in Brussels for a reform of its supervisory board. The
| strike and demonstration are timed to coincide with meeting in the Belgian
| capital of the executive of the patent office, under its president Alison
| Brimelow, to seek approaches to a "strategic renovation". The employee
| representatives expect around 300 staff members from the patent offices in
| Munich, Berlin, The Hague and Vienna to attend the protest rally.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/115940

EPO examiners do not trust Brimelow for her quality reforms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-89228/epo-examiners-do-not-trust-brimelow-for-her-quality-reforms