Re: GNU/Linux Rises While Windows Vista is Killing Microsoft

On Sep 16, 2:01 am, "ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From the Inquirer article:
>
> "LINUX HAS MADE headway in Microsoft's UK heartland, the PC sales
> channel. The number of machines shipped with Linux preloaded on them
> has multiplied a whopping 28 times since Microsoft launched its Vista
> operating system in January 2007."

> The article makes the point that this is starting from a small base,
> maybe 0.1% at the beginning of the period in question,  to about 3%
> now.

My understanding is that the sales was over 20 million Linux machines
in the last 6 months, so a bit closer to 10%.  Of course, if it
triples again in the next 6 months, it would be up to 30% of the
market.

With OSX taking up almost 20% of the market as well, that could leave
Microsoft's Vista with as little as 50% of the market, and about 1/2
of those would be downgraded.

> I thought this was going to be an interesting year, but it's been
> better than I would have expected.

In it's current Niche (sub-notebooks) , Linux outsells the Microsoft
offering 6 to 4 by unit volumes.  Profit margins are also looking much
better, for retailers.

> I gather Microsoft is hurrying to get Windows 7 out, reportedly with a
> June 2009 release date.   They must be worried.  Of course, 7 will
> solve all the problems with Vista.

Yet another VAPORWARE announcement.  Ballmer isn't nearly as good at
stretching the truth as Gates was.  You can figure that the EARLIEST
Windows 7 will be out is probably sometime in 2010, and won't be
debugged until 2011, and maybe two releases later, around 2015, will
have the features and capabilities of Linux as well as the
performance, security, and efficiency of Linux.  More than likely
though, Microsoft will leave those infamous "back doors" open, and
wipe out the security, the 'bots will wipe out the performance and the
efficiency, and huge monolithic monopoly-ware libraries will wipe out
any of the efficiency.