[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Optimised for Power Use

Control your Desktop with Mouse Gestures

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s easy to set up and use your own own mouse or pen gestures with
| Easystroke, which can execute custom predefined actions when it recognizes
| gestures on the screen.
`----

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/12/control-your-desktop-with-mouse-gestures/

KDocker - Useful Docking Application for KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| KDocker comes handy when you want to embed some graphical application in the
| system tray, given that the respective application does not come with its own
| feature to put it in the tray
`----

http://linux-weekly.blogspot.com/2008/09/kdocker-useful-docking-application-for.html

Recent:

Faster application launching with GNOME-Do and GNOME Deskbar

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME enthusiasts have a couple of good options when it comes to searching,
| launching, and otherwise manipulating and accessing files, applications, and
| information right from the desktop: GNOME-Do, and the GNOME Deskbar applet.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/145368

Grumpy Gnome-Hater Almost Changes Mind

,----[ Quote ]
| At any rate, I'm using Ubuntu Hardy for my audio recording and editing
| workstation, and it's working out nicely. Some things are still too
| simpleminded for my liking, such as the printing manager, and the screenshot
| and CD-writing apps. Installing better apps takes care of that. Overall, I'm
| finally starting to warm up a wee bit to Gnome 2.x.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2008/09/grumpy-gnomehat.html

21 of the Best Free Linux Productivity Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the essential ingredients to running a successful business is
| maintaining an advantage over your competition. Many different types of
| computer software can significantly enhance performance at the workplace, or
| in the home. A polished office suite, a reliable backup system, an intuitive
| desktop environment, even a welcome break from reality with an immersive game
| all have their part to play in helping users achieve their maximum potential.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080830155059353/Productivity.html

Be a Productive Linux User

,----[ Quote ]
| Use Terminator: Terminator is a nice way to free your valuable screen space
| from multiple terminal windows. Instead of using one terminal window for each
| task, divide an existing window horizontally or vertically each time you need
| a new terminal window. So if you find yourself using 8 terminal windows, you
| can use Terminator and pack your terminals into 2 windows.
`----

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/08/26/be-a-productive-linux-user/

Be super-productive with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It might sound a bit weird but the kind of Operating System you’re probably
| using may affect your productivity at work! Though, a user is a more
| responsible entity when it comes to productivity, but somewhere
| down-the-line, we can hold your operating system responsible for the same.
|
| [...]
|
| Reasons why Linux may be productive
|
|     * The power of command line..
|
|     * Customization...
|
|     [...]
`----

http://brajeshwar.com/2008/be-super-productive-with-linux/

Why Open Source contributes to productivity

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software has become quite popular lately and I think it’s awesome
| that free software like Amarok, Open Office, GIMP and so on, are becoming so
| good that they not only rival their paid counterparts, but surpass them in
| many ways.
`----

http://hackyourday.com/2008/03/25/why-open-source-contributes-to-productivity/

Kubuntu days...productive days

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what is the point? It is that, for non technical users, as I am, Kubuntu
| have reached a point where I'm able to do with linux everything I used to be
| able to do in windows, install it, make partitions, configure a network,
| install apps, share printers and directories, configure wifi devices, create
| users, etc. very easily. In fact, I can do more things now that I could in
| windows.
|
| We can improve a lot though, but it has been a confirmation of what I already
| knew (we all know). With linux I'm more productive, even in tedious actions
| like the ones I've done these days.
`----

http://toscalix.blogspot.com/2008/02/kubuntu-daysproductive-days.html

Matthias Ettrich: The KDE-Man!

,----[ Quote ]
| Nobody in their right mind would choose Windows over GNU/Linux based on the
| desktop experience alone, says Matthias Ettrich.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/25412/news.htm

Related:

Switching from KDE to WinXP #2