Re: [News] Multi-head Displays with GNU/Linux (Try *That* with Win32/OS X)

* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On 2008-09-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 11 September 2008 21:04 : \____
>>
>>> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Bullshit.  Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
>>> (OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.
>>
>> Utter bull. I've done multi-head with 3 distros and 2 GPU vendors and there was
>> never an issue. X handles it well. Maybe your graphics card was bad (or came
>> with bad drivers).
>>

> No, your fabricating:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors
> [
> 	Based on my own experiences from using a dual-monitor setup in Gentoo
> 	for quite some time, I have decided to write a little howto on how to
> 	do it, for using both Xinerama and separate screens. I've even gotten
> 	3d acceleration working (if not at the best possible speeds) in both
> 	setups.
>
> 	Does setting up a dualhead under linux really have to be so hard? It's
> 	so elementary!
>]
>
> Dual monitor support is a pain - it doesn't always work correctly.  X handles
> it very, very badly, IMHO.
>
> I like linux, and I support Linux, but dual head support is crap in my
> experience.

Sure it is, Tom, sure it is.

I'm running with two Nvidia cards, a 1440x900 LCD monitor, and a
1280x1024 CRT, on a 64-bit system.

Problem?  Well, running Big Buck Bunny across the two screens gets
pretty slow.  Everything else is fine.

I'm running Nvidia twinview on my laptop and an LCD connected to a
docking station at work.  Both at 1920x1200.  The only issue is the
splash screen coming up on both (instead of being centered on one).

I'd hardly call that "crap".  Unless you explain yourself, I'll consider
it a deviation from your normally balanced view of things.

By the way, how do you get 12 XP systems to merge into one 24-monitor
virtual monitor?

--
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.