Re: [News] Multi-head Displays with GNU/Linux (Try *That* with Win32/OS X)

* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On 2008-09-11, Subway steel <foo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I have run and tried multi-head displays with Windows. It works fine and is
>> incredibly easy to setup.
>>
>> Windows has supported multiple monitors 'out of the box' since Windows-98.
>> What part of this article is supposed to impress people?
>
> I was sort of wondering that myself.  I've been running muli-head for quite a
> while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.
> Maybe they will finally get a good multi-head story.

   http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=cqB01Cp_wPM&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DcqB01Cp_wPM

You have to look for some pretty old comments to understand the setup:

   Jibes (2 months ago) Show Hide
   Seriously, what's with all the stupid in these comments?

   People, they didn't just set up a cluster with 24 screens to be able to
   boast about playing Quake on it. (Though that probably added some degree
   of motivation.)

   It was, as stated, a proof of concept. Use 12 computers and use them to
   calculate one game image, split on 24 screens. That's pretty durned
   amazing.

   What kind of computers did you use, and how many changes did you have to
   do to the quake engine to make this work?

As one other commentor said:

   dackjaniels555 (2 months ago) Show Hide
   THANK YOU for explaining it to these ASSCLOWNS!

--
Children's talent to endure stems from their ignorance of alternatives.
		-- Maya Angelou, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"