[News] Linux Apps Raves: Konqueror, VLC, Ekiga, Pidgin/IM

Konqueror, The Powerful KDE Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, all of the browsers that I reviewed for this book have been
| Gnome-based browsers. Epiphany is a Gnome-sponsored project, and Firefox is
| rapidly moving towards Gnomeization (though at the time of this writing, a Qt
| port of Firefox is under heavy development). What’s a good KDE user to do?
| Simple: use the conqueror of the browser market, Konqueror.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/ubuntu_applications/konqueror

VLC goes to nine point two

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometimes I get the feeling that I only know about 5% of what VLC can do.
| Everyone knows it's a dependable, free, cross-platform media player. But read
| through the release notes for the latest version, 0.9.2, and you will see a
| dizzying array of server, network streaming, and conversion functions, most
| of which I have never even touched -- and the new VLC exposes a lot more of
| that functionality.
|
| [...]
|
| But even with those quibbles, VLC is easier to use and does a more consistent
| job of exposing its functionality than either MPlayer of Xine. VLC's
| interface does not get in your way, and you do not have to read a tutorial to
| get started with it. It just works. Add to that the fact that VLC is robust
| on all three major desktop OSes, and you have a winner.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148944

Enhancements to VoIP Software Ekiga 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Ekiga, formerly known as GnomeMeeting, is an open source VoIP application
| with video support. The Ekiga project has recently incorporated major
| enhancements into its version 3.0 software.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/enhancements_to_voip_software_ekiga_3_0

Linux speaks your instant messaging dialect

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, Pidgin supports no less than 17 different IM protocols! As well as
| the four popular ones I mentioned above – MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and AIM – there is
| Bonjour, Facebook Chat, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, Groupwise, IRC, MySpaceIM,
| QQ, SILC, SIMPLE, Sametime, XMPP and Zephyr.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20916/1143/

"I don’t understand how IE is going to win. The current path is simply to copy
everything that Netscape does packaging and product wise."

                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Recent:

ACID3 and Konqueror

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see, amongst stable versions (in bold), Konqueror beats them all.
| Hip, hip, hooray for Konqueror (KHTML) devs! And one hip and hooray for
| WebKit!
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2008/03/04/acid3-and-konqueror/

Related:

Konqueror 4.0 brings some vast improvements.

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.0 was released several days back, and thanks to the KDE Four Live CD, I
| was able to give it a try with very little effort. Having used it for about a
| day and a half now, I’d like to share some of my impressions of this new
| release of KDE.
`----

http://pinderkent.blogsavy.com/archives/148

Konqueror in KDE 4.0 RC2