[News] Dell Creates Its Own GNU/Linux Distribution

Dell launches a cut-down Linux version of its netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's Inspiron Mini 9 is now shipping in a new version with the MID edition
| of Ubuntu Linux 8.04. The revised model is £30 cheaper and has an 8GB SSD.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/116687

"We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."

                --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President

Recent:

HP's 'End Run' Around Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| As Hewlett-Packard steps up efforts to make Microsoft's operating system
| easier to use, some want to devise a rival version with Linux
|
| [...]
|
| Others in HP's PC division are exploring the possibility of building an HP
| operating system for mainstream desktop and notebook computers based on the
| open-source Linux system, which competes with Windows, say people familiar
| with the company's plans. The goals may be to make HP less dependent on new
| releases of Windows, and to strengthen HP's hand against Apple (AAPL), which
| has gained market share with computers that boast innovative features and
| inspire a loyal following of users.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2008/tc2008095_077474.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis

Mainstream media writes Windows obit

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, a tough day for Windows.
|
| BusinessWeek reports that HP, the world’s biggest PC company, is so troubled
| by Vista’s ‘tepid reception’ and Apple’s resurgence that it is developing its
| own operating system. Meanwhile a New York Times columnist writes on his blog
| that Windows is “already dying a death by a thousand cuts.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=219

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars