[News] Telecoms Converging Around GNU/Linux

Telecoms networks - Carrier Grade Linux comes of age

,----[ Quote ]
| The future is always an exciting place. Remember the "Star Trek" series, when
| the crew used communication systems or badges for translation, authentication
| and subspace links? Back on Earth, cell phones, PDAs and PCs continue to
| evolve toward those fictional devices, but users have the same expectations
| of features, availability, reliability, scalability and cost.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/09/26/44596/telecoms-networks-carrier-grade-linux-comes-of-age.htm

Nokia spreading software bets after Symbian buy

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia is quietly extending its knowledge base in the free Linux operating
| system to give it extra options in the battle for mobile software supremacy
| with Google and Apple.
`----

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008%5C09%5C29%5Cstory_29-9-2008_pg6_6

Google's Android May See More Investments From Motorola; Nokia And Verizon
Spotted Among Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| This part sounds a bit more iffy, but the same source has also seen people
| from Nokia ( NYSE: NOK) and Verizon Wireless ( NYSE: VZ) at a recent Android
| developer conference. In general, in order to be an attendee, supposedly you
| had to have an Android application. Neither Nokia nor Verizon are official
| members of the Open Handset Alliance.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/28/AR2008092803188.html

Recent:

Nokia spreading software bets after Symbian buy

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia says Symbian plays a central role in its software strategy, but
| analysts say the role of Linux in the company's Nokia phones is also set to
| increase, reflecting a mindset shift for a company that has long shunned
| using software from multiple vendors.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSLL41029820080925

Symbian extends collaboration offer to Google, possibly Android

,----[ Quote ]
| "We already work together and so whatever collaboration, if there is an
| opportunity, we will be happy to collaborate with them," Symbian chief
| executive Nigel Clifford told reporters in Tokyo. "And that could be on the
| application level or that could be on the more fundamental operating system
| level."
`----

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/16/symbian-extends-collaboration-offer-to-google-possibly-android.html

Nokia and the battle for open source's soul

,----[ Quote ]
| The Finnish giant had, until now, kept out of the major alliances being
| formed in the mobile Linux space — the LiMo Foundation and the Google-led
| Open Handset Alliance (OHA) — because it could afford to. Enjoying 40 percent
| of the global handset market, and holding the largest stake in the
| market-leading Symbian platform, Nokia did not have to be quite as reactive
| as other manufacturers when it came to the open-source revolution. It was,
| however, inevitable that it would join the revolution and, after a suitable
| period of observer status, it chose the right time to do so.
`----

http://www.itvoir.com/portal/boxx/modules/blogs/Blog-Detail.asp?BlogID=1888

Nokia looks beyond Symbian to Linux

,----[ Quote ]