Re: [News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD, Cedega 6.1

On 2008-09-26, Joe Potter <not-home@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Joe Potter belched out
>>  this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> "Homer" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> Link reposted:
>>
>> http://venturecake.com/a-review-of-powerdvd-linux-%E2%80%93-expensive-but-just-works/

>>> When somebody else posted that comment
>>
>> I suspect Homer was the OP.
>
> Don't know. Just posting the editors reply to the comment posted on the
> review page.
>

>>> on the page you left out the editors
>>> reply -
>>>
>>> Editor: If only it worked out of the box, had a pleasant UI, and its
>>> developers weren't such a cantankerous bunch of pricks.
>>
>>   http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/linux/MPlayer-Review-61627.shtml
>>
>>   Even if it doesn't come installed by default, MPlayer is very easy to
>>   install on popular distributions. ...
>>
>>   I said this before, but I have to say it again: MPlayer is, was and
>>   will be the best video player Linux ever had! And most of all, with
>>   the right graphical user interface (GUI) it really rocks! I recommend
>>   this player to all Linux newbies and gurus.
>>
>> Nothing there about whether the developers are pricks or not.
>
> It was the editors comments, not mine.
>

>>> And what's with the complaining about the price. I own ties that cost
>>> more
>>> than this.
>>
>> Why?
>
> I don't have lots of suits and such but what I do have is nice. Useful for
> Xmas parties, weddings and things like that. Considering the money I spend
> on other things buying something like a nice tie for $50 that will last many
> years isn't a big deal. Many people are willing to pay several times that
> just for software.

     This is not a race to see who can be the biggest idiot. The same
goes for software or your overpriced ties. If the product can't justify
it's price tag then it should be quickly shuned. Being inferior to
cheaper or free alternatives is a pretty clear and quick indicator in
this sort of thing.

     Spending money on software (or anything else for that matter) should
be a bit more than an issue of conspicuous consuption.

--
      If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing          |||