Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:11:34 -0500, alt wrote:

> I realize that this may violate some Microsoft TOS, but if you're buying
> a machine that ships with vista to replace a machine that is running XP,
> then I don't see the harm in using that XP licence - even if it is an
> OEM license - to activate an installation of XP on that new machine.
> Think about it. You've paid Microsoft for a copy of their operating
> system on that machine, why should it matter if you use their last
> iteration? For that matter, even if the new machine is an OEM license
> then why should it matter? You've still paid them.

With Dell and Lenevo you can legally "downgrade" to XP, if you buy one of
the business editions of Vista ME instead of the home edition. (Dell and
Lenevo also give you support if you do so.) I don't know if that's part of
the M$ license, or the Dell and Lenevo OEM licenses. I can tell you one
thing. If I was somehow forced to buy a Dell laptop with the Vista ME crap
installed and I needed XP, I wouldn't have any problem "downgrading" on my
own. What's the good of support for a product that fundamentally does not
work?

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"