Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

On 2008-09-23, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Recent:
>
> Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
>| licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
>| what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
>| licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
>| computers we are selling today."
>|
>| Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
>| steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
>| Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/29/vista-sales-really-windows-xp

I realize that this may violate some Microsoft TOS, but if you're buying
a machine that ships with vista to replace a machine that is running XP,
then I don't see the harm in using that XP licence - even if it is an
OEM license - to activate an installation of XP on that new machine.
Think about it. You've paid Microsoft for a copy of their operating
system on that machine, why should it matter if you use their last
iteration? For that matter, even if the new machine is an OEM license
then why should it matter? You've still paid them.