[News] Adobe Throws FUD at Linux, Hypocritical on Patents

Adobe Answers to Linux Development Questions

,----[ Quote ]
| That last answer is very interesting. There is some ridicule out on the WWW
| and on USENET that looks at the LSB Product Directory and scoffs that LSB is
| no good and thus Linux is no good. This is one of the usual Fear and
| Uncertainty through Disinformation (FUD) tactics used by those who hate Linux
| and want you to hate it too. Obviously companies, like Adobe, are using the
| LSB tests and certifying for themselves. They are not then certifying with
| The Linux Foundation to be placed in the LSB Product Directory nor are they
| using the LSB trademark.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2008/09/23/adobe-answers-to-linux-development-questions/

Adobe's position on software patents has changed?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is the position of Adobe on software patents in 1994 published by James
| Huggins:
|
|     Let me make my position on the patentability of software clear. I believe
|     that software per se should not be allowed patent protection. I take this
|     position as the creator of software and as the beneficiary of the rewards
|     that innovative software can bring in the marketplace. I do not take this
|     position because I or my company are eager to steal the ideas of others
|     in our industry. Adobe has built its business by creating new markets
|     with new software. We take this position because it is the best policy
|     for maintaining a healthy software industry, where innovation can
|     prosper.
|
|     The problems inherent in certain aspects of the patent process for
|     software-related inventions are well-known, the difficulties of finding
|     and citing prior art, the problems of obviousness, the difficulties of
|     adequate specifications for software are a few of those problems.
|     However, I argue that software should not be patented, not because it is
|     difficult to do so, but because it is wrong to do so.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-91720/adobe-s-position-on-software-patents-has-changed

Recent:

Archiving Documents

,----[ Quote ]
| Archiving is a rather loaded word since doing it can be a widely varying
| activity. In many situations, archiving PDF files is a very good solution. In
| fact it was so attractive to some US Government agencies that they encouraged
| their personnel to work on an ISO committee/working group to define a special
| subset of PDF called PDF/A that meets their needs better than plain old PDF
| might.
`----

http://blogs.adobe.com/insidepdf/2007/10/archiving_documents.html

Adobe Opens Up (A Bit)

,----[ Quote ]
| I will come as no surprise to readers of this blog that the old proprietary
| software companies are finally seeing the light and beginning – some faster,
| some slower – to open up. Adobe is one such company, and to consolidate its
| moves it has set up a new site, called simply Adobe Open Source...
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&blogid=14&entryid=529

Adobe AIR on Linux: Pre-Beta Testers Needed

,----[ Quote ]
| As of today there have only been releases of Adobe AIR for Windows and Mac
| but Adobe is committed to also delivering a version for Linux. This is great
| news for developers like me who use Linux as their primary desktop operating
| system.
`----

http://www.jamesward.org/wordpress/2008/02/20/adobe-air-on-linux-pre-beta-testers-needed/

Adobe Pushes DRM for Flash