[News] Sun Created False Hype to Steal Linux Thunder

Sun: OpenSolaris 'pretty freaking amazing'

,----[ Quote ]
| 150,000 developers strong?
|
| Recently, Sun was touting the fact that more than 150,000 people have joined
| the OpenSolaris community. This is a pretty big number, particularly since
| the first release of OpenSolaris, dubbed 2008.05 and developed under the
| code-name "Project Indiana," only started shipping in May. That number
| doesn't tell the whole story.
|
| For one thing, it is not a measure of downloads. According to Dan Roberts,
| director of marketing for Solaris at Sun, the project allows completely
| anonymous downloads of OpenSolaris and also uses mirrors to distribute the
| code. OpenSolaris 2008.05 accounted for a couple hundred thousand downloads
| from the project's systems and maybe half again as many downloads on mirror
| sites.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/23/opensolaris_meet_solaris/

OpenSolaris 0811-98 Screenshots

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=OpenSolaris%200811-98

CDDL inside.

Recent:

Enterprise Unix Roundup: OpenSolaris, Farm Team or Big League?

,----[ Quote ]
| To make it big in the enterprise, a platform must be on par with the Unix
| operating systems, the current meme says. And — interestingly — in this world
| view, OpenSolaris is not in the majors.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3745431

Does OpenSolaris Matter?

| I'm not sure.
|
| Sun first announced OpenSolaris in 2005 but they keep finding ways to
| announce 'first releases'. Yesterday was one such release.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/05/does-opensolaris-matter.html

OpenSolaris 2008.05: Not quite there

,----[ Quote ]