Re: [News] Microsoft's CEO Breaks Promise About Retirement (Could Leave Sooner)

Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
> DFS wrote:

>> Among their more well-known tech inventions are: operating systems:
>> Windows 3x

Copied (with partial permission) from the Apple Lisa.

>> 9x

Copied from the Apple Mac.

>> NT

Written by VMS engineers.

>> 2000/2003

Combination of the above two.

>> Vista

Copied from Mac OS X.

>> database: ODBC

Written by Simba Technologies, then assimilated.

>> office: first bundled/integrated office apps

Except for AppleWorks, 6 years earlier.

>> programming/development: Visual Basic/VBA

Written by Alan Cooper, then assimilated.

>> ActiveX/COM

Finally something the Vole actually "invented", although given that it's
probably responsible for more security issues than any other software in
history, it's hardly something worth bragging about.

>> C#

Microsoft's answer to being sued for illegally "extending" Java.

>> Visual Studio

Not the first, but perhaps one of the worst IDEs ever.

>> PowerShell

LOL! I won't even dignify that with a response.

>> multimedia: Media Center

Er ... HELLO! *Tivo*, four years earlier.

Maybe we're not clear on this, but we are supposed to be discussing
*inventions*, right? You do know what *invention* means, don't you
DooFuS? Or are you working from Sweaty's phrase book again?

>> Media Player

QuickTime came first, by at least a year.

>> Gaming: DirectX

Iris GL (subsequently OpenGL) came first, by at least 3 years.

>> Gaming consoles: XBox

That's not an invention. Game consoles have been around since 1972.

>> XBox360

Ditto, but with 60% more FAIL. At least the original didn't RRoD and
scratch discs.

>> web: contributions to XML and SOAP

Microsoft's "contributions to the Web" are infamous, and again - hardly
something worth bragging about. Neither of the above were Microsoft
inventions.

>> other: ClearType font technology

Invented by Apple, *22 years earlier*.

http://www.grc.com/ctwho.htm

And the final score is... 1/21 = FAIL.

Better luck next time, DooFuS.

>> Your problem - the OSS world's problem - is sour grapes, laziness
>> and jealousy

Your problem - Microsoft's problem - is that you're a bunch of bloody
plagiarists; vultures and revisionists, with zero morals and even less
imagination or talent.

>> without a commercial product to steal from

Hypocrite.

>> the OSS world has almost nothing to offer.

It has the same to offer as Windows, only with less bloat; better
security; fewer serious bugs; and much much more Freedom.

> Every single one of these is their take on an earlier version

It's worse than that. A lot of the above Microsoft "products" were
merely assimilated at best, and plagiarised at worst, if not outright
stolen.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 00:32:49 up 38 days, 21:45,  5 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.97, 1.22