Re: Best simple Linux for not-so-novice user?

chrisv wrote:

> Richard Rasker wrote:
>
>>- After the initial installation, go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org to add
>>extra package sources to the install, most notably the PLF sources for
>>multimedia support, accelerated video drivers and other proprietary stuff.
>>If something appears to hang during this step, just wait a few minutes --
>>the package manager is probably checking for updates, which blocks your
>>access to the package database during that time.
>
> Is that "easy" urpmi actually easy, now?  I recall that as a major
> turn-off with Mandriva, when I tried it a few ears ago...

As from 2008.1, it's a matter of clicking two buttons and entering a root
password. So yeah, I guess it fully deserves the qualification "easy" now.
Although copy-pasting the urpmi.addmedia commands in a root shell weren't
exactly rocket science either -- but OK, if you made a poor choice in
repositories, you could end up with dog slow subsequent updates and
software installs. Then again, I found that the PLF sources were pretty
slow too lately ...

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl