[News] BeOS in the Eyes of a GNU/Linux User

BeOS reborn: 30 days with Haiku

,----[ Quote ]
| I can't criticise Haiku. It's in a rapid state of development and no one is
| claiming it's anywhere near a productivity level. But it's very close, and
| you can't help feeling that a little user-oriented documentation and
| packaging could go a long way. A recent port of AbiWord and Firefox is all
| you'd need for most small office environments, and you'd be able to install
| Haiku on virtually any spare machine in the office. It would also feel
| quicker than most other operating systems, Linux included, and the
| limitations in the desktop environment wouldn't be important.
|
| KDE to Xfce
|
| If you do decide to live in the world of Haiku, it's the desktop environment
| that's going to have the biggest impact on your routine. It's akin to
| switching from KDE to Xfce, for example. The file manager is an important
| part of any desktop environment, and I found BeOS very reminiscent of my
| Amiga days. Like Workbench and Gnome's spatial mode, each folder click opens
| a new window, as do all the application and preferences windows. Window
| borders are small, and desktop space is used very efficiently.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/30-days-with-haiku-465275

BeOS 'reborn' in GNU/Linux. All paths leads that way.

Recent:

BeOS-like distro focused on content creation

,----[ Quote ]
| A new Ubuntu-based Linux distribution has arrived, aimed at both Linux
| newbies and content creators. Boasting "out of the box" multimedia codecs,
| the freely downloadable PC/OS incorporates the lightweight XFCE desktop, and
| is said to offer a similar layout to the groundbreaking, but ultimately
| doomed BeOS.

PC/OS - the BeOS of the Linux world

,----[ Quote ]
| PC/OS is a recent new entry into the Linux distribution world. Based on
| Ubuntu, it uses Xfce as its default desktop and offers a variety of
| user-friendly enhancements, such as out-of-the-box support for popular
| multimedia codecs. It also includes a collection of software development
| tools. Although PC/OS has yet to be added to the DistroWatch.com's
| distribution database, we offer this reader-contributed review for the
| benefit of those visitors who enjoy evaluating emerging distributions.
|
| [...]
|
| PC/OS has become my distribution of choice. Not only for its nostalgic
| journey to the BeOS era, but because, as it advertises, everything worked out
| of box. I have installed it on four systems, two laptops and two desktop
| systems, and it works great. If you are a new Linux user, I highly recommend
| it. If you are a seasoned Linux user, give it a try. If you are a refugee
| from BeOS, it's definitely worth a look. PC/OS has a bright future. If it
| makes it past a year we may see it as a DistroWatch #1 pick. The developer is
| a nice guy, very technical and very eager to help if you have problems, and
| he understands the desktop user's needs. My experiences with PC/OS have been
| very positive and, as always, I encourage you to participate not only in this
| distribution but in Linux and open source in general. Overall, PC/OS is the
| best $1.00 I have ever spent.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080616#feature

Zebuntu: Ubuntu 7.10 under disguise!

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, Zebuntu is nothing else but a rebranded, BeOS-themed XFCE variant
| of Ubuntu 7.10, with a new control panel (MAGIC). Now what?
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/02/22/08/42/28-zebuntu-ubuntu-7-10-under-disgui

Zebuntu Debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| "Our goal is to use BlueEyedOS to offer a new platform for our former Zeta
| customers. In the future, Zeta, BeOS, as well as any future Haiku
| applications, will run natively on Zebuntu. This also offers a distinct
| advantage for developers for these platforms; they can use Zebuntu to develop
| for their platforms while utilising the performance and versatility of
| Linux." In other words, run BeOS applications on Linux.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/thread?301475

Beta 2 fertig und bereit zum Testen

,----[ Quote ]
| Nachdem intern die Beta 1 viel Erfolg hatte steht nun die Beta 2 zum Download
| bereit.
|
| Viele neue Features und Bugfixes wurden in Beta 2 eingefügt und so kann es
| nun von einer breiten Öffentlichkeit getestet werden. Es handelt sich dabei
| um ein etwa 1GB grosses DVD ISO welches als LiveSystem mit
| Installationsfunktion verwendet werden kann.
`----

http://zebuntu.com/component/content/article/1-aktuelle-nachrichten/51-beta-2-fertig-und-bereit-zum-testen.html
http://tinyurl.com/2nnrxg

OpenBeOS: It's Alive and Well