[News] [Rival] Open Source Companies Receive More Funding Despite Economic Crisis

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Open Source Companies Receive More Funding Despite Economic Crisis
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:30:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Likewise Secures $10 Million in Funding; Sets Sights on New Users and Product
Development

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a lot of mixed networks out in the wild, of course. This is why
| Likewise has successfully secured a $10 million Series C round of funding,
| which the company plans to use to pursue growth in new markets and fund the
| development of its product line.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/likewise-secures-10-million-in-funding-sets-sights-on-new-users-and-product-development
http://tinyurl.com/cbao2c

Am I totally wrong or is LikeWise former Softies who advance MS 'standards' and
tax in *NIX?

Miro's Creative Fundraising: Adopt a Line of Incredibly Cute Code

,----[ Quote ]
| The Miro internet TV player is completely open source, and licensed under the
| GPL. The content it delivers is free of charge, and the organization backing
| it (the Participatory Culture Foundation) is a registered non-profit.
| Developers and contributors are always welcome to donate their time and
| effort in any capacity they are able.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/miros-creative-fundraising-adopt-a-line-of-incredibly-cute-code

Eucalyptus in the cloud: researchers commercialize OSS project

,----[ Quote ]
| The researchers behind the open source Eucalyptus project have launched a
| company to commercialize the technology. They plan to offer services and
| support to companies that want to use Eucalyptus to build self-hosted elastic
| computing clouds.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/04/researchers-to-commercialize-open-source-eucalyptus-project.ars

Recent:

RightScale Teams With Eucalyptus for Cloud Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in June, we broke the news about Eucalyptus, an open-source (under a
| FreeBSD-style license) infrastructure for cloud computing on clusters that
| duplicates the functionality of Amazon's EC2, using the Amazon command-line
| tools directly. Now RightScale, a leader in cloud computing management and
| support, has announced a partnership with the Eucalyptus team at U.C. Santa
| Barbara to foster cloud computing research, experimentation and adoption.
`----

http://ostatic.com/176399-blog/rightscale-teams-with-eucalyptus-for-cloud-solutions

Open Source Cloud Computing: RightScale Joins Forces with Eucalyptus

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://virtualization.sys-con.com/node/734588/print