[News] [Rival] Miro Raises Funded, Drupal Gets $90,000 from Google

Cutest funding move ever? Adopt a line of Miro code

,----[ Quote ]
| Those behind the open source Internet video player Miro have launched a new
| adoption system! No, you won't be adopting babies or kittens, or even polar
| bears in Antarctica—instead, users can "adopt" a line of source code from
| Miro for $4 in order to help support the continued development of the
| software.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/04/cutest-funding-move-ever-adopt-a-line-of-miro-code.ars

Google to invest 90,000 USD in Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| The accepted students, their projects, and the mentors are listed on the
| official Drupal.org announcement. Congratulations to all successful
| applicants, and thanks to the Drupal Summer of Code organizers, the Drupal
| mentors, and last but not least, Google. Awesome!
`----

http://buytaert.net/google-to-invest-90000-usd-in-drupal

Recent:

Pagico v3.2.2 r625 is now available for Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| We’re excited to let you know that a new release (revision 625) for Pagico
| v3.2.2 is now available for all the supported platforms: Windows, Mac, and
| Ubuntu (8.04 and 8.10).
`----

http://www.pagico.com/blog/pagico-v322-r625-is-now-available-for-windows-mac-and-ubuntu.html

Mini Review: Miro 2.0

 ,----[ Quote ]
| I like Miro quite a bit. It does a decent job of pulling together the
| functionality of a lot of separate application and combining them into a
| media center with a clean UI.
|
| A few additions, perhaps collected in an "Advanced" tab under Options would
| allow the user to control database updating, add/edit/delete search engine
| sites, select an external player application, control browser privacy, etc.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=529

Open source video player, aggregator Miro goes 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The team behind open source internet video player Miro have pushed out
| version 2.0. The new player features a new interface, improved speed and
| performance, and the ability for users to add links to online streaming video
| portals like Hulu and CBS.com to the sidebar.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/02/10/open-source-video-player-aggregator-miro-goes-2-0/

Related:

Announcing Miro 1.2 - A Major Update

,----[ Quote ]
| We’ve just released a major update to Miro, version 1.2.
`----

http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2008/03/announcing-miro-12-a-major-update/

There are two major improvements in this update.

,----[ Quote ]
| First, we have dramatically improved performance for torrent downloading and
| we offer more settings and control (thanks to libtorrent). With this update,
| Miro is truly a powerhouse for torrent feeds, if I do say so myself. Torrents
| are still a difficult and mysterious technology for many users, despite the
| huge bandwidth savings they provide to publishers. We aim to make your
| torrent experience seamless at worst and invisible at best.
`----

http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2008/01/announcing-miro-11-dramatically-faster-bittorrent/

Miro 1.0 is Here

,----[ Quote ]
| I am incredibly excited to announce the launch of Miro 1.0.
|
| With this launch, we are ready to build a movement for truly open video.
| We’re on a mission, we have a world-class product, we have an amazing
| community, and more and more open channels are being published every day.
| It’s the right time.
`----

http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2007/11/miro-10-is-here/

Mozilla gives $100K grant to Democracy makers

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has announced that a $100K has been approved for the
| Participatory Culture Foundation, a Massachusetts-based
| non-profit that aims to make "watching internet video channels [..] as easy
| as watching TV and broadcasting a channel...
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/05/mozilla-gives-100k-grant-to-democracy-makers/

Watch online video? Get Miro

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Miro makes it so much easier to find and to get video content that
| you won't want to switch to another app just to watch it.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118379

Miro (Democracy Player) for Linux Reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of the day, Miro has been one of my favorite methods of
| downloading, maintaining and enjoying user created content. It's been a
| source of joy and discovery for me personally, and I only wish to see them
| gain a better focus on their future direction. Remember, non-profits can
| indeed, generate a profit. It's just a matter of reinvesting those funds into
| the project to better see through the mission of the group as a whole.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8026

Democracy Player 0.9.6 Released - Last version ever! (before name change)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.getdemocracy.com/news/2007/06/democracy-player-096-released-last-version-ever-before-name-change/
http://tinyurl.com/2x6ae2