Re: [News] Sarkozy the "Pirate" Pays the Fine for Committing Copyright Crimes

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

As Sarkozy Pushes Three Strikes, He Pays Up For His Own Copyright Violations

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, you might hope that this would cause Sarkozy to rethink his stance on | copyright infringement. Instead, it looks like his political party has simply | agreed to pay up and make the issue go away, while still pushing for the | three strikes law. It sounds like they paid about 30,000 euros, which is a | lot more than the single euro that Sarkozy's party initially offered (yes, | seriously). No word on whether or not this counts towards the number of | strikes on Sarkozy's internet connection. `----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090428/1204424684.shtml

(((((
Is Nicholas Sarkozy One Strike Towards Losing His Internet Connection?
from the it's-always-those-politicians... dept

Why is it always the politicians who are pushing for stronger copyright laws that are caught infringing on the copyrights of others? The latest is that French President, Nicholas Sarkozy, a big supporter of setting up a three strikes law in France, is being accused of violating copyright law himself. Apparently, he used the music of an American band, MGMT, at an event and in two online videos. In the US, use at an event would be okay assuming that the venue had paid a standard performance license -- but use in the video would most likely be infringement. I'm not quite sure how France's current copyright laws match up, but it certainly does seem pretty questionable for a politician going on about the harm done by people sharing music without paying for it to be doing the same. So, the obvious question arises: does this mean Sarkozy is now only two strikes away from losing his internet connection? If he believe so strongly in such things, this shouldn't be a problem, right?
)))))

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE53R1V120090428
(((((
U.S. rockers MGMT win piracy row with Sarkozy's party
Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:14am EDT

By Dominique Vidalon

PARIS (Reuters Life!) - "No time to think of consequences/Take only what you need from it," sings American psychedelic indie rock band MGMT in its popular anthem "Kids."

This was exactly what French President Nicolas Sarkozy's UMP party did when it used the song without the band's permission.

Now the ruling UMP party, which faced the threat of a lawsuit, has agreed to pay a financial compensation to the band, MGMT's French lawyer said on Tuesday.

Asked if the settlement fee amounted to 30,000 euros ($39,050), a sum cited by France Info radio, Isabelle Wekstein told Reuters by phone: "There has been an agreement of that order."
)))))