Re: [News] [Rival] Even Windows XP SP3 is Defective by Design

On 2009-04-29, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:05:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> XP SP3 Doesn't Play Nice with Heavy I/O Operations on NTFS Volumes
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Windows XP fails to play nice with heavy I/O operations occurring on volumes
>>| formatted with the NTFS file system, Microsoft informed. According to the
>>| Redmond company, the issue is related to the “Compress drive to save disk
>>| space” option. The software giant did not offer an explanation of the
>>| problems, but indicated that both Service Pack 3 and SP2 for Windows XP were
>>| affected. Post-XP releases of the Windows client, including
>>| Windows Vista and Windows 7 are not impacted by the issue.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/XP-SP3-Doesn-039-t-Play-Nice-with-Heavy-I-O-Operations-on-NTFS-Volumes-110252.shtml
>
> Wait.. wait.. wait..
>
> Not too long ago, I posted about how Linus called ext3's writeback mode
> "moronic".  I said that this was the same thing as calling ext3 moronic.
>
> Unsurprisingly, I got a torrent of replies that called me a moron for
> saying that.  They said that just because one seldom used mode was stupid
> didn't mean ext3 was stupid.

That's because that was true.

> Now, here we have effectively the same thing.  One particular mode of NTFS
> has some issues, a mode that is hardly ever used, and now "NTFS is
> defective".

NTFS is defective whether that particular mode is used or not.

However, the ext3 mode is rarely used. The NTFS mode is default.

> Funny

Yes it is.

> What hypocrites.

I know. And you're nothing but an honest and truthful poster who only
posts verifiable facts, too.

--
Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.