[News] Defence of GPL Licensing; Example of Bogus "Open" Licence

Sorry, not right. An answer to Raymond’s post on the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| In general, of all the aspects of OSS that are interesting (and there are
| many), I find the GPL family of licenses as the brightest examples of law
| engineering, and I believe that a substantial reason for the successes of OSS
| are dependent on it. Of course, there are other economical aspects that are
| relevant, and I agree with the fact that OSS is in general more efficient (as
| I wrote here, here and here). I disagree with both the premise and the
| conclusions, however, as I believe that the set of barriers created by the
| GPL are vital to create a sustainable market here and now, and not in an
| hypotetical future.
`----

http://carlodaffara.conecta.it/?p=206

How not to play with "Open" license.

,----[ Quote ]
| The iMagic OS weird EULA
| "You may not (and shall not allow any member of Your Household or any other
| third party to): (i) copy, reproduce, distribute, relicense, sublicense,
| rent, lease or otherwise make available the Software or any portion or
| element thereof except as and to the extent expressly authorized herein by
| Licensor; (ii) translate, adapt, enhance, create derivative works of or
| otherwise modify the Software or any portion or element thereof; (iii)
| decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer (except as and to the extent
| permitted by applicable local law), or extract ideas, algorithms, procedures,
| workflows or hierarchies from, the Software or any portion or element
| thereof; (iv) use the Software or any portion or element thereof to provide
| facility management, service bureau or similar services to third parties; or
| (v) remove, modify or obscure any identification or proprietary or
| restrictive rights markings or notices from the Software or any component
| thereof. You shall keep a current record of the location of each copy of the
| Software You make."

OSBC: Life at the edge of the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| A problem shimming scenario is using it to attempt to undo a previous
| decision to combine software. It could be "admitting that what you did was
| problematic." If possible, try to buy a exception from the copyright holder
| instead, Norman said. Shimming is possible and might even be necessary, as in
| the case of third-party code that can't be relicensed. But the lesson is that
| companies will save time, use fewer developers, make a simpler product, and
| avoid legal bills just sticking with the copyleft.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/325899/

Related:

Small Universe: LinCity-NG 2.0