Re: The fall of Microsoft

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 23 April 2009 23:43 : \____

> <Quote>
> For the stockholders among you [Ray Lopez 0.999?] that means
> Microsoft's diluted earnings per share were down 30% over last year
> and well below what the 39 the analysts were expecting... [Why?] It's
> more than [the economy] For starters, I blame Microsoft's management.
> They've been sloppy and lazy for years now.
>
> [So fire Ballmer.]... instead of focusing on what Microsoft does well
> -- strong-arming hardware vendors into installing Windows software --
> he's been distracted by picking dumb legal fights with open source and
> buying Yahoo.
>
> Or, considering my low opinion of Microsoft, I guess I should be
> saying, "Please, please keep Ballmer in charge. He's the man!"
>
> Another major reason is that Microsoft may own the lion's share of the
> netbook market now but it did so by cutting its profits to the bone
> and beyond. Worse still, if you like Microsoft, this new talk of
> Windows 7 Starter Edition, which is junkware by any standard, being
> the Windows for netbooks will alienate customers. Microsoft will have
> a fit trying to hold onto its current netbooks predominance at changes
> ripple through this market in the rest of 2009.
>
> Another factor is that the Mac seems to now have the high-end of PCs
> all to itself....if you really want a "cool" laptop, you're going to
> buy a Mac. ... in these bad financial times for Mac sales numbers to
> stay so high is nothing short of amazing ... and a lot better than
> Microsoft's client numbers.
> </Quote>
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_fall_of_microsoft

The short story is that GNU/Linux is ripping Microsoft apart by devaluing
Windows, which accounts for 84% of Microsoft's profits (The "Windows
division").

- From Q1:

"Client software felt the slump in PC sales, and was further harmed by the
shift to netbooks; many of these run Linux, which helps Microsoft not at all."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090122-microsoft-sees-profits-fall-starts-layoffs.html

"Microsoft, like much of the IT industry, was caught off-guard by the rapid
rise of the netbook category, but moved quickly to offer a netbook-specific
version of XP Home to stem the tide of Linux on netbooks. When one considers
that getting some revenue is better than getting none, that was a wise move."

http://www.crn.com/software/212902058

"Search engines be da**ed, it's the OS that generates money - if the world
switches to linux, it will switch to OpenOffice too."

http://caps.fool.com/blogs/viewpost.aspx?bpid=133810&t=01008616547623863168

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie