[News] The Lesser Told Side of the Pirate Bay Court Fiasco

Why the War Against File-Sharing is Unwinnable

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a final, "strategic" point: every time the music industry kills an
| underground distribution channel, a more efficient one arises in its place.
| Goodbye mixtapes, hello www. Bye www, hello Napster. Bye Napster, hi
| BitTorrent. Bye BitTorrent, hi anonymous, ciphered, totally decentralized p2p
| nets.
|
| Why? By limiting the supply of interaction, the music industry is only
| ensuring that each interaction becomes more and more efficient. The endgame
| is a distribution system where every song in the world in the world can be
| zapped invisibly and anonymously from me to you in a nanosecond.
`----

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/haque/2009/04/post_2.html

Entertainment Industry Really Really Really Wants To Believe Pirate Bay Verdict
Is A Win

,----[ Quote ]
| As was easily predicted when The Pirate Bay verdict came out last Friday, the
| entertainment industry celebrated it as a big win. Amusingly, Arts+Labs, one
| of many, many entertainment industry lobbying groups (and run by a guy, Mike
| McCurry, who thinks that Google doesn't pay a dime for its bandwidth), was
| quick to praise the decision, with McCurry claiming that this is a turning
| point and that people will now realize that file sharing is "something both
| dangerous, criminal, and unfair." (I'll let the grammar nazis figure out
| which two of three things he meant when he said "both").

Why Google Is The New Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| "Google doesn't call itself 'The Pirate Google,'" Garland says. "If the
| number of queries looking for copyrighted works is massive, that's only
| because the number of searches on Google in general is massive."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/17/pirate-bay-google-technology-internet-pirate-bay.html

Copyright Battle Looms for Docs Who 'Grew Up Google'

,----[ Quote ]
| Should Medical Studies Be Posted Free for All to See and Learn From?
`----

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=7391207&page=1

Pirate Bay says appeal is filed

,----[ Quote ]
| Days after four defendants in the high-profile Pirate Bay case were found
| guilty of violating copyright law, the Web site implored fans to stay calm,
| not to send donations, and to stay united.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10223683-93.html

Study Finds Pirates Buy 10x More Music Online than Non-Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| A study from the BI Norwegian School of Management has found that those who
| download free music from services like BitTorrent are also the biggest
| legitimate consumers of downloadable music.
`----

http://i.gizmodo.com/5219587/study-finds-pirates-buy-10x-more-music-online-than-non%20pirates

Are Pirates Driving Legal Music Sales?

,----[ Quote ]
| To anyone who knows anything about how music fans like to consume music this
| will be no shock, but to those at the RIAA (who know nothing about music or
| culture) hopefully this will be a wake up call.
`----

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2009/04/are_pirates_driving_legal_musi.php

Pirate Party plans election raid

,----[ Quote ]
| Sweden's Pirate Party says it has had a surge in membership, giving its
| leaders hope that anti-corporate feeling will translate into electoral
| success.

BT blocks off Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| BT and other mobile broadband providers are blocking access to The Pirate
| Bay, as part of a "self-regulation" scheme.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/251609/bt-blocks-off-pirate-bay.html

BT Blocking Pirate Bay; Claims It's Part Of A Voluntary Self-Regulation Code

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090421/1254414598.shtml

BT Blocks Access To Pirate Bay

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/1239242&from=rss

BT should also block Google and YouTube then.