[News] Focus on People of GNU/Linux Desktop Environments (KDE and GOME)

Aaron Seigo Talks About KDE's Past and Future

,----[ Quote ]
| Seigo is aware of his celebrity (or notoriety) in the free software
| community, but not altogether comfortable with it. "I'm not a huge believer
| in the cult of personality," he said over a large bowl of vegetarian
| Pho. "You look at Apple: Steve Jobs goes away because of illness and stock
| prices go down. I don't think that's fair to the other people in Apple, who
| put their hearts and souls and lives into it. And that's not really in the
| spirit of KDE. But that's what you get with the cult of personality."
|
| At any rate, such celebrity is often misguided. Seigo insists, for instance,
| that his role of president is not nearly as important as many people
| imagine. "To the outside, the role matters," he says. "But, really, it is
| just added responsibility, with no ability to dictate or anything of that
| nature. It's not so much an empowerment of the individual as the individual
| serving the community and how to make sure that the community processes that
| need to be engaged actually do get engaged."
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3816391_1/Aaron-Seigo-Talks-About-KDEs-Past-and-Future.htm

Hackfests, fundraising and the economy

,----[ Quote ]
| When I took this job it was agreed that part of my job, but not all of it,
| would be fundraising. However, because of the economy I find myself thinking
| about fundraising more often than not these days.
|
| For example, take hackfests.Hackfests are events where you get all the key
| developers for a project together in one place and they spend a few days or a
| week discussing issues, planning future releases and writing code. As most
| open source work happens virtually, hackfests are great opportunity to meet
| in person and make a lot of progress on things like planning a new release or
| a particular issue.
`----

http://www.stormyscorner.com/2009/04/hackfests-fundraising-and-the-economy.html

Related:

Combined KDE and Gnome developers meeting

,----[ Quote ]
| Following a decision by the developers of the KDE and Gnome desktops in mid
| 2008 to co-host the Akademy and Guadec developers events on Gran Canaria in
| 2009, the organisers have now fixed the date: Guadec and Akademy will be held
| from the 3rd to the 11th of July 2009.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Combined-KDE-and-Gnome-developers-meeting--/news/112164

GNOME's Stormy Peters on the Most Important Desktop Issue

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/177016-blog/gnomes-stormy-peters-on-the-most-important-desktop-issue