[News] Listing of Good Reasons to Use Desktop GNU/Linux

Why I Use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Things move quickly in the world of open source, and I like this. With my
| particular favorite flavor of Linux, Ubuntu, I get a new release every six
| months. I don't have to wait a couple of years. Ubuntu is particularly
| aggressive in its release cycle, but--with a handful of notable
| exceptions--it's rare for other distros to take more than 12 months to make a
| new release.
|
| What this means is that I get the latest and greatest software that's on
| offer. I can ride the wave of the very latest technology. Because the updates
| are gradual, rather than step-changes, the actual process of updating is much
| easier than you might expect it to be.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163552/why_i_use_linux.html

Recent:

8 Reasons You Should Switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| # It's Free – most Linux distributions, like Ubuntu and Fedora, come
| absolutely free of charge to install, distribute, reinstall, and modify
| without worrying about breaking any copyright or pirating laws.
|
| # Free Software – there are thousands of programs that can help you do almost
| anything you need. There are Office alternatives, web browsers, instant
| messaging programs, media players, email programs, a great Photoshop
| alternative, and even software where you can run a lot of your favourite
| Windows programs. Most of these free alternatives are available for Windows
| (and Mac OS X), too!
|
| # It's Fast – out of the box, the most popular distributions require less
| hardware to run than Windows or Mac OS X. There are also versions that can
| run on very little hardware, like Xubuntu or Damn Small Linux, so you can
| bring those old computers in the basement back to life.
`----

http://namd3r.com/node/11

Related:

10 Reasons Why Ubuntu Linux is Better Than Microsoft Windows OS

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Ubuntu Linux has fewer security issues and viruses
|
| Ubuntu Linux is created  based on Open Source concept of code-sharing and the
| source code is available to anyone who understands. Thus, any security issue
| encountered can be fixed withing 48 hours or less. I don’t mean to say that
| Ubuntu does not have security issues, but compared to Windows OS, Ubuntu has
| a faster turnaround.
| As of 2008, there are less than 1000 known viruses that infects GNU/Linux
| operating systems. Compared to Windows operating system which has more than
| 74, 000 viruses. Though the threat is real on GNU/Linux, rest assured that
| the Open Source community are taking no chances.
|
| 2. Ubuntu Linux can be installed on low-end systems
| Ubuntu Linux does not require high-end hardware to run.
|
| It practically runs on processors ranging from Intel 386 to Intel Core 2 Duo
| and later. Refer to http://www.ubuntu.com on minimum system requirements and
| supported hardware, but I assure you, it will run!
|
| 3. Ubuntu Linux does not hog RAM and virtual memory...
`----

http://ubuntu.sg/?p=59

[Sarcasm] Top 10 Reasons not to Use Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I played around with Ubuntu this weekend and I have been really impressed by
| everything, but I know many people still want to use a Windows desktop. So I
| thought I would give you ten reasons why you shouldn’t use Ubuntu so when
| your Ubuntu-loving friends tell you about it you can be armed with some
| reasons why you would rather use Windows.
|
|    1. You Don’t Try Before You Buy...
|
|    2. Installation of Software is Too Easy...
|
|    3. Too Few Viruses/Too much security...

http://socializedsoftware.com/2007/10/30/top-10-reasons-not-to-use-ubuntu/

Top 10 Responses to Why Should I Use Linux? - A Linux Evangelists’ Reference

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’re a Linux enthusiast like me, you’ve probably tried to convert a few
| people over to Linux from another operating system. Even though you succeed
| many times, there are always a few ‘geniuses’ out there who need some real
| persuading to switch over to Linux.
|
| So here are some quick and simple things about Linux you can point out to
| your potential convert.
|
| 1. Linux helps you get rid of viruses, worms, and other computer infections.
|
| [...]
|
| 2. Linux is fast and will stay fast
|
| [...]
|
| 3. Linux is easier to use than Windows.
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2008/03/14/top-10-responses-to-why-should-i-use-linux-a-linux-evangelists-reference/
http://tinyurl.com/2ryffj

A Linux Valentine

,----[ Quote ]
| Way number 1: You breathe new life into old hardware.
|
| [...]
|
| Way number 2: You run so very fast.
|
| [...]
|
| Way number 3: You're just easy to get along with.
|
| [...]
|
| Way number 4: I feel safer with you.
|
| [...]
|
| Way number 5: You're the best. You support all my hardware.
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/A_Linux_Valentine.html

10 Reasons why Linux is better

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is not under a single banner. There are hundreds of Linux distributions
| available, either commercial or free. Hence, it ensures that there is no
| monopoly and that the support as well as the package is as good as it gets.
`----

http://thelinuxblog.freehostia.com/blog/2007/11/10/10-reasons-why-linux-is-better/

10 Reasons Why You Need to Download Ubuntu Right Now

,----[ Gist ]
| NTFS Read/Write Straight Away
|
| Package Manager
|
| GNOME + Compiz = One Beautiful GUI
|
| Wine and Thousands of Other Great Open Source Apps
|
| Huge Amount of Customization:
|
| No Malware
|
| Ease of Use
|
| Hardware Support Has Never Been Better
|
| It’s Free
|
| Community Support + Tight Release Schedule
`----

http://www.softwarebattle.com/2007/11/12/10-reasons-why-you-need-to-download-ubuntu-right-now/

6 Reasons Why Linux Beats Windows & Mac OSX Hands Down

,----[ Gist ]
| 1. Linux is completely open.
|
| 2. The software that runs on it is also open.
|
| 3. Linux runs great on just about any platform.
|
| 4. You can buy a Linux desktop from Dell (or Walmart!).
|
| 5. Linux has become nearly idiot-proof for basic computing tasks.
|
| 6. The desktop computer is dying anyway.
`----

http://www.dailytechnobabble.com/2007/11/05/6-reasons-why-linux-beats-windows-mac-osx-hands-down/
http://tinyurl.com/328lsb

Five Reasons for Making the Switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Reason 1: Productivity
|
| Reason 2: Security
|
| Reason 3: Linux Maturity
|
| Reason 4: Availability
|
| Reason 5: Cost
`----

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/networking/features/article.php/3707251

13 reasons why Linux should be on your desktop

,----[ Gist ]
| # Cost
|
| # Resources
|
| # Performance
|
| # No bloatware
|
| # Security
|
| # Dual booting
|
| # Installation
|
| # Reinstalling the OS
|
| # Keeping track of software
|
| # Updating software
|
| # More security
|
| # No need to defrag disks
|
| # A wealth of built-in utilities
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5836989728.html

25 Reasons to Convert to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Businesses, educational institutions, governmental agencies and other
| organizations around the world are converting1 their computer operating
| systems from Microsoft Windows to Linux at an increasing pace. They are
| likewise converting their application programs from commercial software to
| free software (also referred to as open source software). There are at least
| 25 reasons for this situation, including...
`----

http://ubuntu704.blogspot.com/2007/10/25-reasons-to-convert-to-linux.html

25 reasons to switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With Linux and other free software there is little reason to fear the
| existence of backdoors, in large part because all of the source code is
| available for inspection.
`----

http://bored.dreamflicks.com/2007/08/12/25-reasons-to-switch-to-linux/

Top 10 Reasons to Switch to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I can't believe it's been almost a year already since I switched to Linux,
| Ubuntu specifically. I have to say, it's been one of the best times in my
| digital life. GNU/Linux is one of the best operating systems there is, and
| here's why.
`----

http://mydigitalramblings.blogspot.com/2007/07/top-10-reasons-to-switch-to-linux.html

11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux.
| Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows.
| Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gnumeric,
| K3B, Beryl, gdesklets, and MythTV.  I know this is a chicken-and-egg
| point, where Windows has the exact same situation. Too often I hear
| "I can't switch to Linux because it doesn?t run [insert Windows
| software]".  My reason for pointing it out is just to make it clear
| that this is a two-way street.
`----

http://www.andersmoen.com/2007/05/21/11-reasons-to-use-linux-instead-of-windows/

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-can-do-in-linux-that-i-cant-do-on-windows