[News] Asterisk Follows the Installfests Tradition of GNU/Linux

Installfests: First Linux, Now Asterisk

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve attended my share of Linux installation festivals (installfests), where
| open source volunteers typically take donated Windows PCs and revive them as
| Linux systems. Now, the installfest craze seems to have found a new calling:
| The Asterisk IP PBX market, where open source meets telephony.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/04/19/installfests-first-linux-now-asterisk/

Recent:

Fonality Records 15 Quarters of High Growth, Leads Open Source Telephony Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Fonality(R), the leading provider of open source business communications
| systems, announced today that the first quarter of 2008 marked its fifteenth
| consecutive quarter of high growth, and that the company has doubled in size
| each year since its founding in 2004.
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/654496.html

Fonality Harnesses Open Source Telephony for SMBs

,----[ Quote ]
| “Asterisk consists of 200,000 lines of code,” says Lyman. “We wrote 1.3
| million lines of code. It wasn’t an overnight coding job, if you know what I
| mean. Just to put it in perspective of just how ‘thin’ Asterisk is compared
| to the code we had to write, we were 25 engineers and four years into writing
| application code, and we probably had twice as many people working on our
| product as were working on Asterisk itself. People who understand software
| know that it’s exponentially hard to make things simple in software. Asterisk
| is written in C, and a lot of our code is written in web code, so that’s
| actually written in PERL and HTML.
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/9713-fonality-harnesses-open-source-telephony-smbs.htm
http://tinyurl.com/35p2ul

Related:

Open-Source VOIP Made Easy

,----[ Quote ]
| Review: AsteriskNow GUI lowers barriers to entry and eases the
| transition from testing to deployment.

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]