[News] Lists of GNU/Linux Applications for Multimedia, Navigation, Internet Phone/SIP

  • Subject: [News] Lists of GNU/Linux Applications for Multimedia, Navigation, Internet Phone/SIP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 08:52:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The best Linux media players

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently I have had a lot of people asking how to play various media files in
| Linux. Since most users are migrating over from either Mac or Windows, they
| are either used to one single application handling their media files or at
| least knowing exactly what apps handle each media type. When they migrate
| over all of a sudden there is no Windows Media Player or iTunes. And then
| comes the bombardment of different applications to choose from! All of this
| combined makes for some difficult usage.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/04/18/the-best-linux-media-players/

A Review of Popular Window Navigators for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| After a long time, I really said to myself, can I lose that bottom panel? I
| really wanted something semi-flashy that had function, giving me access to my
| favorite shortcuts. I have heard of Avant, and tried that, but I also wanted
| to give “the other guys” a good try too! I came across Gnome-Do and also
| Cairo Dock. While each actually has its ups and downs, I’m sure everyone can
| agree they accomplish the job. Here is The Linux Cauldrons review of Popular
| Window Navigators.
`----

http://thelinuxcauldron.wordpress.com/2009/04/19/remove-that-panel-a-review-of-popular-window-navigators/

Six Linux softphone's list

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of these projects will involve IP phones or ATAs, but you may use
| softphones too, which are very convenient for the traveler guy, here we will
| review some of the soft phones available for Linux.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/linux-softphones-review-best-free

Related:

Is the “killer app” argument dead?