[News] [Rival] Microsoft Starts Suing Computer Shops for Cash (Sue, Sue, Sue)

Microsoft names three Auckland pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft New Zealand says it has entered settlement agreements with three
| Auckland PC stores that sold knock-off versions of its software. They are:
|
| TDM Technology, operated by Ayman Franso and Nicholas Jansen;
| Pars TV, operated by Al-Huseiny Ibrahim; and
| PCTown, run by Linjiang Yu.
`----

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/microsoft-names-three-auckland-pirates-101284

Things to check before buying cheap PCs

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/6436

Microsoft works to level the playing field

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0904/S00325.htm

Software pirates settle with Microsoft

http://reseller.co.nz/reseller.nsf/feat/84BAAF79B5CEB3D7CC2575990077D1B0

Related:

Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
| piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
| matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
| software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
| Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
| operating system.
|
| You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
| Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
| workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
| been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
| networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Happy-with-the-Evolution-of-Windows-Vista-Piracy-50577.shtml

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Why the illegal market determines the success of your software

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista however was marketed as being harder, better, faster, stronger
| and more importantly - nigh uncrackable. Which proved a problem
| because it made uptake noticably slower than that for XP. However,
| things might have changed now because some awfully clever people
| managed to crack Vista (apparently). This might have caused a
| shift in demographics because users are now potentially able to
| sample the "delights" of Vista without paying massively
| inflated prices.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/why_the_illegal_market_determines_the_success_of_your_software

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html